Minimum tile size with Ditra [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Minimum tile size with Ditra

trafferty
08-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi all,

I've decided to jump on the Ditra bandwagon (see previous thread (http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14673) ), but I might have a problem. The tile I am laying is really a bunch of mosaic pieces that are attached to a 12" x 12" nylon netting. The tiles themselves are various sizes, but most are 1" x 1". The Ditra installation guide says that the minimum tile size should be no less than 2" x 2". should I either choose a different tile (larger than 2" x 2"), or perhaps go back to my CBU plans, or will the Ditra work with this type of tile?

thanks!

tom

Sponsored Links

Davy
08-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi Tom, yes get a bigger tile if you plan on using the Ditra. If you can't find a bigger tile you had better use CBU.

abm760
08-10-2004, 02:39 PM
You could use one of the other membranes instead of Ditra. I am planning on using NobleSeal CIS for my bathroom renovation.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13950

vernal888
08-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Seem to remember a thread about layout lines on ditra (lines washing off , etc.) where it was suggested to trowel a layer of thinset over the ditra filling the waffles, and then tiling over the filled ditra. The point of the suggestion was that chalk lines could be snapped onto the thinset. Would such a technique allow use of the smaller tiles?

John Bridge
08-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi Dave,

The problem with tiny tiles is the areas between the square deppressions that can't be filled no matter how hard you push on the trowel. :) Schluter's concern is that if you get a concentrated (point) load on the edge -- a spike heel, for example -- the tile might tilt, especially since the little sheet-mounted tiles never bond particularly well to begin with.

Would I do it in my own house if I wanted to? Sure, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. ;)