Layout floor and walls HELP! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Layout floor and walls HELP!

surfitness
08-09-2004, 08:55 AM
My bathroom is 7'4" deep by 5' wide. The tub lie directly at the back of the room. It fits perfectly between the walls. I am having trouble laying out the tile. They are 4"x4" for the walls. What is the best way to layout this kind of project. I will tile from the floor to the ceiling. I am also doing a 1" hex on the floor. They came in sheets of 1'x2'. Is there a best way to put them down? Thanks for all of the help!

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
08-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Draw a vertical centerline on the back wall of the tub enclosure. Starting with a tile straddling the centerline, and accounting for grout lines, do the tiles end up whole, or more than half at the corners? (Hint, you want more than half, but less than whole)

I can't help on the hexes.

surfitness
08-10-2004, 06:31 AM
WHat do i do if they are less than half? Should I make only one cut and stick that in the back corner?

proszkow
08-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Not sure how you set your tiles on the center line to start with. You have two options.

1. Center the grout line on the center line, or
2. Center a tile on the center line.

If the tiles at the corner are less than 1/2 a tile then switch options.

Alex

surfitness
08-10-2004, 11:12 AM
I tried setting it to the right of the center line, and came up with almost a whole tile but not exactly. When I put the tile partially over the center line, i came up with smaller pieces. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

proszkow
08-10-2004, 12:10 PM
The idea is to have as large a piece of tile as possible at both corners. Unless you are extremely lucky you will always have to cut the end piece. Pick the option that results in the largest piece on the ends. Generally both end piece should be the same size.

PS. Not sure what you meant by "partially over" the centerline. It should be centered on the center line for option 2.

This should result in both end pieces that are larger than 1/2 a tile.