newbie ? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : newbie ?

hunter12
08-09-2004, 08:52 AM
hi,
i would like to know how you measure to get tile layout? where
can i get information that shows step by step and also shows diagrams step by step.
Also, what type of wet saw do you prefer and why?
last, what do you charge your customer for a typical shower stall installation and bathroom tub sorround and lets say 20' x 20' floor tile installation?

thanks

hunter

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Welcome, Hunter!

There's more to tile layout than can be conveyed in a few posts. However, John has written a book where he spends a lot of time in tile layout and measurements. Worth the $26 or so. Check the link at the top of the page.

Tiles saws are like any other tool, everyone has their favorite. We like Felkers, but DIYers have done many fine projects with $88 box saws from HD, Lowes, or Harbor Freight. Our advise is usually to buy the best saw your budget allows, then sell it on eBay when the jobs are done.

Installation costs vary in so many ways that getting an estimate over the internet is useless. As a minimum, you'll need to supply the type and size of tile, the current condition (tear-out, bare studs) and any speciality items you want done. This is custom work, there are infinate possibilities for a "typical" bathroom.

Unregistered
08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
hi bb,
thanks for responding!
im thinking about getting johns book, i checked out the website for it.
Has anyone on here purchased the book and what did you think?

lets see, the floors are 12x12 and i might rip out the vinyl, its over concrete slab. the bathroom tiles are 41/2 x 4 1/2. i also have to rip out the tile and wonderboard and put new cement board in.

one question, when i measure to see how much tile i need for the bathroom, how do i compute the # of tile i need for trim??

thanks again

hunter

hunter12
08-09-2004, 05:01 PM
sorry
i forgot to sign

hunter

mdaddy
08-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Asking for an opinion of John's book on this site is like calling Stoffer's and asking if chocolate is any good. My truely objective opinion is that it's the most informative book on tiling I ran across.

I also cut 12"x12" ceramic for 500+sf with a $88 H.D. special. The advantage was that it will cut 12" on the diagonal.

Good Luck,

Mike

John Bridge
08-09-2004, 07:08 PM
What do you want from me, Mike? Name it. :D

mdaddy
08-09-2004, 08:10 PM
THanks John,

Don't need nuttin' much, a pony, maybe, a claw foot bathtub's cool, mostly just keep pluggin' away at the website and helping us guys.

Also, kudos to the Webmaster, I really like the the new format.

Mike

GRT
08-09-2004, 09:02 PM
I can ditto Mike's remarks on John's book. I read the entire book, cover to cover, and I have been back to it several times as a reference. You want to know all about tile? Buy the book. It's well worth the price. :yeah:

GRT
08-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Oh ya - forgot to mention. I just bought a Felker TM-75 from Construction Complete. They are excellent to deal with and the saw is way nicer than my old :yeah: cheapie saw. I'm in the middle of a project right now and I can't say enough aboout the saw.

hunter12
08-10-2004, 09:01 AM
hi
well i bought johns book, i cant wait to read it!!
looking forward to doing alot of tile projects after i read the book.
one more thing, how do i determine how much trim tile like bullnoses, etc?
is their a calculation for it, i know how to calculate how much tile you need but not sure if that would include the trim.

thanks for all your replys

hunter

tileguytodd
08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Not sure which book you got.They are both great and cover some differant items.
I use them as training manuals for new helpers.Yep they are that good :)

hunter12
08-10-2004, 09:10 AM
hi todd,
i got the second book "tile your world"
i just hope its an easy format to understand.
i also have home depot tile book but i heard theres some things that
are wrong with their tile installation steps

hunter

tileguytodd
08-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Tiling 1 2 3....Great Kindling, i highly reccomend it for fire starter material ;)
You may take this as being biased as i did an article in Johns Book, but it is an excellant format with a ton of valuable installation material all laid out for ease of use and a fun read to boot(johns kinda humorous at times,i think its living with a parrot that does that to a guy ;) ).Many DIY ers have benefitted from its pages and alot of Pro's could also.
For Mudwork the first one is excellant,TYW is better for more modern techniques and includes many newer products to go along with our newer building environment.
Enjoy,I know I did :)

hunter12
08-10-2004, 10:33 PM
thanks for the info todd!

hunter

BlueCanyon
08-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Hunter,
Ditto on the book. We are average-level diyers, and the book has been great!!! Sometimes I have to read a section several times over a period of days to get it to all sink in, but then when we actually do the work, voila! It turns out just like the book said it would.

And I'm not on JB's payroll either!
Mary Ann

John Bridge
08-11-2004, 06:58 PM
People, I appreciate all the kind remarks. When I first got into the tile book writing business over a decade ago it was because there was a lot of misinformation being spewed out of various sources. It's still happening, and I'm still in the business. I want to stress, though, that I had a lot of help on the new book. Look at all the names in the credits (Todd's there) and you'll see only about one percent of folks who had something to do with the production. I've stolen ideas from hundreds of people whose names I can't remember or never knew. I think that's what makes the book so good. Plagiarism. :D :D :D

hunter12
08-11-2004, 09:22 PM
hi john,
im looking forward to getting the book and i may have some questions after each chapter.
Now from a business standpoint, what are all the tools you need?
is there a checklist i can receive from anyone?
i know tood and a few others mentioned the felckertm-75 and also the tilemaster which i think is from felcker.
i would also like to know if anyone can share an example of what there
estimate sheets look like. you can email me at gerick1108@earthlink.net

thanks again

hunter

hunter12
08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
bump