Shower pan liner - How to deal with toilet flange?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower pan liner - How to deal with toilet flange??

holliwr
08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Hello:
I'm building a custom bath room where the entire floor is a shower stall. The shower is only separated by a glass block wall with no door, just a 2" curb. Question is this..The 2 shower drains are designed for use with a liner, but last night I ran into the toilet rough-in. Now what? Needless to say, they are not designed for use with a liner. How can I install the liner around the toilet pipe so it will be waterproof? My first thought is to just cut the hole a little small, add some liner glue and force it up on the flange, then install the flange to the right height. This will leave the liner pointer down on the flange, I know, but I don't have enough room to poisition it to be facing up on the flange while I install the flange. I'm hoping the small hole and the glue will make the flange waterproof. I'm installing the liner around the flange, NOT the rough in pipe.

Any other ideas?????

Richard

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
08-09-2004, 10:56 AM
The toilet is on the same side of the curb as the shower heads? IF not, then don't worry about the liner at the toilet flange, just cut around the flange. When you set the toilet after the tile is in, you caulk the base to the floor.

If the toilet is on the same side of the curb as the showere heads, I don't know, other than to build up a pedestal for the toilet. How are you planning on keeping the paper dry?

Raymond S
08-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Think of the time you can save in the morning if the toilet IS on the same side as the shower heads.

Raymond

Raymond S
08-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Sorry.

Raymond

John Bridge
08-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Richard, Welcome aboard. :)

You're sick, Raymond. ;)

What kind of "liner" are you using? Sounds like you're using something that goes on the surface instead of a shower pan liner that goes under a mud bed. You say you are mounting the "liner" to the flange. If it is a surface membrane I would run it right up on top of the flange and put the wax seal over it. Otherwise, you'll need to explain what you're doing a little better. Post a picture if you can. :)

holliwr
08-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Yes, it's a standard 40 mil CPE liner. I'm using the 2 part method where you pour one layer of mud to form the slope, then cover that with felt, then put in the liner (thats where I am now) then pour the second layer of mud on top of that(no slope this time).

The toilet is NOT on the same side of the glass block wall as the shower head. Therefore, the suggestion of just cutting around the riser and then sealing the toilet base to the finished tile with sealant makes sense. I won't worry about trying to custom fit the liner to the flange or riser. I think I will still cut the hole a little small so it wil have SOME SORT of seal around the pipe. Couldn't heart....

Here is a picture. Toilet riser is on front left.

Thanks again,
Richard

bbcamp
08-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I think you are going about making a waterproof floor in the toilet area the hard way. A single mud bed and a surface membrane are all you need.