Change in plans; need another curb! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Change in plans; need another curb!

Amy
08-08-2004, 10:12 PM
OK, now that I'm OK with my shower, we've decided we need another curb or threshold, but I haven't come up with any ideas of how to do it, since tiles are already laid where we want the curb. Do I have to lift the tiles there or is there some way I can install a curb, any curb on top of existing tiles? Ideally, I would love to find something equivalent to a marble threshold that is "L" shaped that I could use as a kind of corner finish. Any ideas?

Diagram: +++ is proposed "L" shaped curb, ==== is existing tile ___ is existing floor yet to be tiled, that could be same height or up to 1/2" lower than shown tile portion of floor

+++++++
================== +
|_+_____________________________

Or maybe I should finish the rest of the floor and put a threshold on the tile then seal with silicone or something?

The reason we want the threshold is because we want to install a shower door where b4 we wanted to leave it open. (Found out the kids are just too sloppy!)

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Amy, I think a marble threshold (saddle) might be just the thing. You can mount it to the tile with modified thin set and then silicone it too. Make sure you get it level. :)

Amy
08-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Thank you John. I'll do some shopping. Sorry about my text picture -- I see that it didn't work on the final posting. Oh well.

How do I cut a marble threshold? I will need a "V" cut out of one side and the other on a diagonal. Can I do it myself?