Tiling the bathroom floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling the bathroom floor

ker
08-07-2004, 09:40 PM
First off I'd like to say this is an absolutely wonderful forum and I'm glad I found it!

I'm planning on tiling my bathroom floor. It's about 10'x10', joists 2x10 16'' o.c. spanning 10' so I think I'm ok in that dept. My main question has to do with the subfloor. I currently have 3/4 inch plywood with linoleum which, of course, I'm in the process of removing. Should I put another plywood layer? I'd like to avoid putting another layer down, if possible, but I will if that's what a quality installation would require.

I was planning on putting down 1/4 inch hardibacker but I'm worried about waterproofing. There are 3 crazy kids here who don't seem to understand that water is supposed to stay IN the shower. So I know there is going to be a lot of water on that floor.

From reading posts the last couple weeks it seems Ditra is a highly praised product so I'm now considering it. But yesterday I talked with an uncle who owns a flooring business (mainly hardwood) and he said that it's a good product but a tile installation with CBU is better because it would last longer - so I thought I'd ask for your opinions on the matter. I really like the idea of Ditra because it would be waterproof. So now my debate is between a CBU coupled with waterproof membrane or Ditra.

As for waterproofing... I have a bunch of tiling books here but none really give any specifics on waterproofing membranes. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Kris

Sponsored Links

Davy
08-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi Kris, welcome. I'll let Bob or someone else answer the plywood question.

I would take the Ditra over the CBU any day. Your uncle probably isn't familiar with Ditra, I can't see how he thinks CBU would last longer. Ditra is easier to install and like you said would be waterproof. Ditra gets my vote.

John Bridge
08-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Kris. :)

Ditra, hands down. You can waterproof it with strips of Kerdi or Kerdi-band. Excellent installation. If you are using ceramic tiles and not stone you're good to go as soon as you get the linoleum up. :)

ker
08-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks!

What should the spacing be between the ditra and the wall? and also between ajoining ditra sheets. Should I also use the Kerdi band around the perimeter or just along the ditra seams?

Kris

bbcamp
08-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Check out the Ditra installation handbook at www.schluter.com . It'll have all the answers to questions you haven't thought of yet. :D

jgleason
08-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi Kris,

I recently completed my bathroom remodel. I went with a Kerdi shower and Ditra for the bathroom floor. I used the KerdiBand on the Ditra seams as John has mentioned. The stuff is very easy to work with, you won't be disappointed.

I did add some KerdiBand at the floor to curb outside the shower. With my kids I knew there would be the potential for lots fo water in that location. There is a picture that shows this here : http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11592&page=7&pp=15

Oh yeah, get JB's book. It is definitely worth the $.

ker
08-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone!

Yup, the website answered a lot of my questions. :yipee:

One potential problem I see is waterproofing the curb between the floor and tub. From Joe's picture I see that's what he did (btw, the bathroom looks great!) But the tub is fiberglass - will it stick? I hunted around the Schluter site but didn't find an answer. Also, since it will go up the tub a couple inches, won't that not look so great?

jgleason
08-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks Kris! My family really likes the new bathroom too! Did you see the orginal photos in my thread? Quite a difference!

Hmmm...fiberglass tub. I'm not sure how you would handle that. In my bathroom I can cover the Kerdi with the baseboard (I'll get around to installing it one of these days!). The only thing I can think of on your tub situation is to caulk the joint between the tub and tile. I don't like that option but I can't think of anything else. Definitely wait for some of the pros to check in, they'll probably have a much better answer.

bbcamp
08-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah, you can't tile over fiberglass. Your best bet is to caulk it and keep it caulked.