Glass Block problem [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Glass Block problem

ShariLee
08-07-2004, 04:19 PM
I just had a glass block barrier installed in my newly remodeled master bath. It's a small 1/2 wall, from the top of the cabinet to the top of the shower tile, 12 blocks, 7 endblocks, and 1 encurve. Ok, here's my problem: The tiles have numerous scratches on them and a film 2 inches around the edges as if not wiped clean before the "cement" dried. I say cement because that is what the installer told me he used. I was charged $1400 for the job. I thought it high, but I really don't know how much is appropriate. I don't mind paying him the full amount if he cleans it and buffs out the scratches. He tried to clean it with windex, goo-be-gone, water and vinegar. The film will not come out. As for the scratches, he says I will have to hire a glass worker to do it. He said he would take off $300 from the bill, but honestly I'd rather pay him the entire amount and have it done right. What should I do? Is there any way to get the film off the tile? What does it take to get out scratches? Thanks for letting me vent.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
08-07-2004, 06:47 PM
A grout haze removal cleaner and a green scrubbing pad from Home depot would probably work better than plain v inegar because of the additives in the block mortar.I don't know about the scratches,if they're light scratches,maybe they can buff them out, but if they're deep from scraping,you'd have to remove them.Unfortunately, every job i did i think there was some minor scratches,no matter how careful,and i'm not sure where, exactly they were from. But not to take up for him.Without seeing it i can't say if i would take the money and be semi happy,but if it's just a couple blocks they could be replaced.

genel
08-07-2004, 08:14 PM
That glass block mortar is nasty stuff. In addition to the additives, its got the sharpest sand in it I have ever run accross. That stuff will take your skin off in one rub.

I am sure the scratches come from the sand, you would have to be very careful cleaning the mortar go not get any.

I agree with Dave, if its only a few block talk to him about replacing them. I am not surprised about the price, the block is expensive and the mason has to eat.