Spots (gaps) appearing after using grout seal and stain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Spots (gaps) appearing after using grout seal and stain

tgott
08-07-2004, 04:48 PM
We bought the TYW grout seal and stain for our shower floor. It appeared to be applied just fine but now after a week of using the shower we are seeing spots that darken (when the shower appeared completed sealed we didn't see any spots) that look like the grout seal is missing (chipped or peeled away). You can scratch at the spots and remove even more. I've attempted to reapply to the spots but we see more spots every time we use the shower. Any advice?

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
08-07-2004, 06:23 PM
I've never used this product, but was the floor sealed at any time in the past, before you used the grout stain, if so, it would have had to removed first.:)

tgott
08-07-2004, 06:42 PM
No. It's a brand new shower that we built.

KChurch1
08-07-2004, 08:05 PM
The grout stain and seal isn't really recommended for wet areas like a shower. It doesn't allow for 100 percent moisture vapor transmission like the Stone Armor does. If you have moisture coming up from below the tile/grout, that could be one source of your problem. If you still have some grout stain and seal left over you can try reapplying it to the areas that seem to be missing the stain... allow the area to dry completely before applying.

John Bridge
08-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi tgott, :)

I don't think you'll have a lot of luck with the shower floor. The product we actually recommended for showers and shower floors was Stone Armor. As Karen says, once you get water underneath the Stain and Seal, you'll have problems, and water will inevitably get under the tiles.

J.B.

tgott
08-09-2004, 04:13 PM
So....can I strip the stain and seal and use Stone Armor. We've only been using the shower for a couple of days. Where can I get Stone Armor?
When I go to the online store I only get two items to show up for order. I also will need some more grout stain and seal for the rest of the floor.

Thanks.

John Bridge
08-09-2004, 07:45 PM
We're not selling Armor anymore. I suggest you go to Home Depot and buy Aquamix Sealer's Choice 15 Gold. Forget the stain in the shower. It just won't hold up.