Curve cut for marble tile: [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Curve cut for marble tile:

Rogerp
08-07-2004, 10:40 AM
How do you cut curves on marble tile? I have a rounded edge fire place to get a round.

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
08-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Roger,
Can you post a picture of what you mean, please? From your description, I'm thinking that you've got a hearth that has a curved edge? Is that correct? Or do you have an arched fireplace niche that you are installing tile into?
Shaughnn

Unregistered
08-07-2004, 11:44 AM
ok it looks alot like the tub image on the screen. I just need to know what kind of tool to use to cut a curved or rounded edge on marble.

John Bridge
08-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Roger, Welcome. :)

Convex cuts are easier than concave cuts. You make both on the wet saw by making a series of very short cuts for convex radii and notches into the tile for the concave. A grinder/-sander is a must.

What you are proposing is not exactly an entry level operation. Takes some years to get the hang of working with stone. ;)

Unregistered
08-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the help John. Most of the house is already tiled with in ceramic, but this will be the first stone tile Ive put in. Thanks again

Shaughnn
08-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Roger,
My process for the pictured tub was as follows:
Lay up face tile to finished height.
Dry set deck tile with joints
trace radius on underside of tile with pencil; number pieces to keep them organized AND remind you which pieces to keep and what is the waste :D
using wet saw, cut down radius pieces just along the outside of the traced line
using a variable-speed grinder and polishing pads of progressively finer grit, shape and polish the radius; be very careful not to over polish and remove so much material that the piece no longer fits
install tile
grout
smile :D
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
PS: I've tried to polish curves like this in place but too often I've run the risk of damaging surrounding pieces and I prefer this method instead. And doing the polishing away from where you plan on working keeps your working area clean and relatively dustless.