breaking last 1/4" of tile when... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : breaking last 1/4" of tile when...

wksinatl
08-07-2004, 07:56 AM
...I am cutting with my new saw. A little more detail:

using brand new Felker FTS-150 w/ the blade that came with it

cutting 12" marble - straight cut

The saw seems to cut fine until the last 1/4' or so. It breaks off the underside of the cut. When I tried the 45 degree cut on the edge is really shows up. I have tried speeding up, slowing down, etc but does the same. I have a 10" HotDog blade on order anyway but I kind of suspect the blade itself. Maybe it is operator error. Either way I would appreciate some "Freshman Counciling". Sugestions?

Thanks folks,
Keith

Sponsored Links

Kirk Downey
08-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Try making a short cut along your line, flip the tile and cut across the tile into your short cut. It gets more complicated than flipping when you make mitered cuts but you'll think it out.

Kirk out

jadnashua
08-07-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm not an expert, but have seen this in the minimal stuff I did so far - the tile may have stress lines similar to cutting a piece of wood. Ever notice how a board's kerf closes up on your wood saw sometimes, or spreads out much wider than the saw blade thickness? Cutting to the end of the tile if the kerf got thinner at the starting end would add chatter and break the line when you got near the end making it weaker. I did see this on some granite tile I cut last year. Got different results depending on which edge was cut.

Kirk Downey
08-07-2004, 10:57 AM
This issue (breaking out, I think it was called) was dealt with when I was last lurking around this forum a couple of yeras ago.

Ceramic and stone tile are strong but brittle. The blade is not cutting as occurs with steel and wood. The wetsaw blade abrades a thin channel through the tile. It creates a great deal of vibration and pressure. The vibration and pressure break out the unsupported last bit of tile. The cut-flip-cut technique provides support for the last bit of the cut.

(I do know that some woodworkers use the cut-flip-cut for various reasons to avoid chip-out) My explanation, not original to me, doesn't erode jadnashua's argument, it adds to it.

Kirk out

John Bridge
08-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Well what kind of marble is it, Keith? Some of them crumble very easily.

Kirk's idea will probably work. ;)