Kerdi: shower wall to ceiling transition [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi: shower wall to ceiling transition

peterd
08-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Now that I have all of the greenboard/Durock up in the shower, I am ready to install Kerdi. The tile will be going from floor to ceiling. Do I need to tape the small gap at the wall to ceiling transiition before I install Kerdi? The ceiling of the shower is already primed, textured and painted.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

jgleason
08-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi Peter,

If it were me I would have tiled the ceiling :) Seeing as how you've already gone and painted the ceiling that makes it more difficult to tape the joint. If you don't have any large gaps in that transition I would just apply the Kerdi and set the tile. If you plan on running the tile up to the ceiling you can finish the top space between the tile and ceiling with some caulk. color-matched to your grout of course!

peterd
08-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Actually I didn't paint it the painters did. I needed to remove some of the drywall because of a lot of uneveness in the stud walls. As well as per David Taylor since the Kerdi acts like a vapor barrier on the inside of the shower and the insulation guys put up a vapor barrier behind the drywall since it was on an outside wall. I ended up with a vapor barrier sandwich. So I removed some drywall and removed the vapor barrier from behind sheetrock where ever I would be installing Kerdi.

So now I have some seams I am left with. I am not to hot on a tiled ceiling anyway. I figured along your line of thinking as well. Run tile to the ceiling and the caulk the joint.