How to - inside corner with diagonal tile? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to - inside corner with diagonal tile?

Builderwoman
08-06-2004, 12:58 PM
:cool: I set the easy part of my backsplash yesterday. 10 lin.ft. x 17 in. in diagonal 6x6 slate. It is stunning. Now for the next issue - I have one inside corner to do. I would like to maintain the pattern as if I could fold the tile in half at that corner. How do I do that? I'm guessing that I should start the wall in that corner, cut my tiles in half, do one wall then come back and use the other halves to start the 2nd wall. Yes? I'm using slate, about 1/2" thick. How close in to the corner should I set that first wall? Help please! :laugh2:

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
08-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Should work, about 1/8" from corner.:)

1floor
08-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Hey Rd Tile You Sure About That? Nice To See You Again. 403 This.

tileguytodd
08-07-2004, 07:30 AM
Gee thats Purty tilework...:)
If ya ever wanna get outa the big city buddy just sail that boat through the locks and tie up in Duluth at the tip of lake superior.i'll come get you and your tools :D

John Bridge
08-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Gina,

You don't have to start in the corner. You can start at one end and when you reach the corner, make your cuts. Then continue around the corner with the cut-off portions of the tiles. :)

John Bridge
08-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Here's a pic.

Builderwoman
08-07-2004, 05:44 PM
I think that I will start in the corner anyway and save the pieces. It might work out better that way since I have to cut around a window anyway. I messed up the wall on the other side of the window by working too late and not thinking about what I was doing enough. I started in the centre of a 46" wall rather than in the corner and left myself with awkward cuts on both sides. No one but me and any passing tile guy will notice anything but I'm considering a do-over anyway. It will drive me nuts for years to come if I don't. My only hesitation is that I have a limited supply of metalic copper slate tiles and I'm not sure that I can afford to break the 9 on the wall.

Your pic makes me ask another question though. I have been applying thinset with a notched trowel to the wall then back buttering the slate to make sure there are no voids behind the tile. Have I been overdoing it? Should I just back butter without trowelling onto the wall?

I'd like to post some pics so that you fellas can tell me how wonderful I am and help me with this window/corner thing. How do I do that?

Rd Tile
08-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Thank you Todd.:)

opiethetileman
08-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Very nice work RD tile!!!! John why do you guys use such big grout joints in showers?????? Is it easier because of tile size I always try and use a 1/8 for showers.

Rd Tile
08-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Very hard to keep a 1/8" joint when using floor tile on walls, not all the same size.:)

Peggy Donahue
08-07-2004, 09:24 PM
RD - That is one masterpiece of a tile job.

Rd Tile
08-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks again, here's the rest of it.:)

MHI
08-08-2004, 07:33 AM
The tile work looks great RD.:)

It looks like the homeowner went all out with the cabinets, granite counters, and appliances such as a drop in range. I am wondering though, whats up with the $39 Price Pfister faucet. :D

Rd Tile
08-08-2004, 09:00 AM
The counters are Silestone, I didn't design the kitchen, just installed it, hey, what can I tell ya, that's the faucet the homeowner picked, guess she ran over budget.:)

John Bridge
08-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Nice work, Rich. :)

Gina,

Look in the FAQ for info on posting pics. The best format is .jpg or .jpeg. Keep the files to less than 51 kb. :)