Grout -- sanded vs. unsanded [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout -- sanded vs. unsanded

Jenn
08-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Boy this place is great!

We're having a new kitchen countertop installed next week. I've seen messages about sanded vs. unsanded grout and I'm wondering what should be used. We want the grout lines to be thin -- I think 1/16" is recommended but I don't want more than 1/8".

What is the difference between unsanded and sanded, and which should be used for our job?

Thanks,
Jen

Sponsored Links

JonSquatch
08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Based on what I know about grout I think this just about covers it...

Sanded grout has bits of sand in it giving it a rough texture. It is somewhat stronger and can build up more without cracking. For that reason it is used in larger joints, say bigger than 1/8th. WIth joints an 1/8th or less sanded grout is too hard to get in the joint anyway, it seems like the grains are fighting aginst you pushing them in.

Sanded grout can be a bear to clean too, since all that rough texture tends to trap dirt and is harder to scrub. Since your doing a counter top I would want the smallest reasonable joints and non-sanded grout. Many will say it looks better, and should make cleanup easier...

P.S. There are tons of threads about grout if you search for them...

Joerg
08-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Jenn, we just completed a couple of bathroom vanities. 13" porcelain tiles, quarter rounds and all with 1/8" grout lines. We used sanded grout on the advice of the tile shop where we bought everything. 1/8th is kind of the limit line between sanded and non-sanded. Anyways, it looks great with the sanded grout.

As Jon said, cleaning is a bear but we got that done with lots of water.

Regards, Joerg.