How to cut diagonal tile at walls?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to cut diagonal tile at walls??

pony
08-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Starting a job for my Mom, and at last moment my Sister and Mom thought it would be NICE to lay a diag. pattern with 18" tile. Have done several Misc. DIY jobs, but not sure if there is any tricks to cutting/measuring for cuts at the walls. I'm going to try to to talk them into a border, but don't know if they will agree. Would appreciate any measuring/cutting tips. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

30all
08-06-2004, 08:31 AM
My experience with diagonal laid tile on wall is, I don't see the difference about cutting them besides the number of cuts you need to do. the real challenge is it's much harder to tile them and line up the grout line around the corners.

Gary K
08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
A border would be nice, then you can overlay your 18" and just pencil mark where it needs to be cut.

pony
08-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Just pray for me and the border..Thanks Gary!!

Mike2
08-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Hi pony. Got a first name to call you by? Feels kind’a funny calling someone a horse. Just don't take it personally, OK? :)

Here are a couple things I thought of to be aware of and prepared for when laying tiles on point for the first time.

First, the tiles when applied to a vertical surface act like wedges and will tend to push those in the row below apart. This will be especially noticeable with large 18” tiles – now we’re talking about giant wedges. A border as being discussed will help hold the main field together if set first, allowing the thinset time to dry. Careful measurement and layout is key here. Masking tape will become your friend to temporarily hold things together. A hot melt glue gun and temporarily placed sticks of wood works as well. With those heavy large format tiles, I’d recommend you begin laying one row at a time until you get things under control and figured out. Once you start you’ll soon see what I mean here.

Secondly, if your design/pattern is such that you need half tiles to fill in the field, be aware that you just can’t cut a tile in half, diagonally. Allowance for the grout lines is required. See drawing below for an exaggerated depiction of this. Mathematically you can calculate the offset using Pythagorean’s theorem or just dry lay some tiles properly spaced and mark your cut lines.

Setter Wannabe
08-06-2004, 03:33 PM
I thought he was asking about laying tiles diagonally on the floor, and how to measure for the cuts "at the walls" (where the floor meets the wall). Was that your question Pony or did they get it right and I got it wrong?

For floor tile laid diagonally, I assume you don't have to worry about that grout line allowance if the edge is under a baseboard, yes??

Bennett

Gary K
08-06-2004, 03:55 PM
I also thought he was talking about the floor. Maybe I should have asked?

Mike2
08-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Well, now that I re-read his post, you guys might be right. Won't be the first time I guessed wrong, if that's the case. :D

Maybe there will be some benefit to the second part of my post.

Joerg
08-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Pony, just want to share something when cutting large tiles diagonally using a not so professional tile saw. I found that when cutting from one end to the other the last 1/2 inch easily broke out, which ruined one half tile for further use. So I cut about half way, then walked around the saw and cut from the other side towards the middle. Didn't break a single one after that.

Regards, Joerg.

RandyL
08-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey..........maybe pony's a woman ............anyone think of that........ah jsut kiddin' :uhh:

MHI
08-06-2004, 07:15 PM
There seems to be a lot of unanswered questions in this thread. :D

RandyL
08-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Myy question is..........is pony a woman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Har har

cx
08-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Well, I'm sayin' Pony's either a male or a female. :shades:

Of course, that's just a guess. :D

Mike2
08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, I'm saying pony's a horse... til it coughs up a name. :shades:

Pony-As in HUNG like
08-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Well thanks for all the help and laughs!! Almost finished my Mom's project. 550 sq. ft. diagonal pattern, wavy edged 18", with inlays at bar and entry way, on an terribly uneven floor. It went OK, and learned how to measure for the wall pieces. Found out if you measure from tip of previous tile to wall and subtract 5/8" (with 1/4 grout lines) for the "triangle piece they fit perfect. Couldn't do this for a livin' as my knees are killin me. But for a DIY job I'm proud of my work and Mom's loves it. (She saved a lot of money-Sorry pro's)Wish I could show you some pics but don't know how to post them. Thank for the support. Pony the guy.

Setter Wannabe
08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Question for Joerg Guest (or anyone else for that matter): When cutting on the 2nd half back to the middle, why did you go around to the other side of the saw to cut rather than just turning the tile around and staying on the same side of the saw? Wondering, since my wife is liking the idea of diagonal-set 18" tile....

Thanks.

Bennett

Joerg
08-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi Bennett,

The reason I walk around the saw is that I want to be able to guide and hold the good portion of the tile (the section that I want to use). This prevents a larger section from falling off the end and shatter. And if I should have a small crack-out it is then in the sawed off piece and not the piece I am using. Never did have cracking though with the dual cut scheme.

The last 1/2" or so I always saw very slowly and I make sure I hold it so that there is no binding against the blade at all.

When it's hot outside (100F right now) I walk around the front of the saw instead of the back, to get that little spritz of water :-)

Regards, Joerg.