Prefab Shower Pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Prefab Shower Pan

Amelia
06-27-2001, 03:24 PM
hELLO EVERYONE!
Like I have told John before, my husband and I are in the middle of a complete remodel and are doing all of the work ourselves, but I have a few questions before we start the next project. We have torn out our entire bathroom including ahower/bath combo and will install a prefab "stand-up" shower stall from Home Depot to make more room in there. Well there is an option to use the two sheets of plastic as the back of the shower or tile the back and then just install the doors in front. Of course this is all on top of a prefab shower pan. Well my first question is:
1. Should we use a special kind of grout to grout the wall tiles to keep it more waterproof? And
2. Exactly what kind of cementious backerboard (brand name) would you use as the base against the studs?
Thank you all so much for your feedback, I have really enjoyed your suggestions in the past!

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
06-27-2001, 03:35 PM
Hi Amelia,

Are you talking about doing a tile shower over the plastic base? That'll work. When you get around to setting the base, though, I have a few tips for you.

I'll let the others address the backer board issue for you.

Rob Z
06-27-2001, 04:04 PM
Hi Amelia,

Thanks for stopping by. Cement grouts are not waterproof, but can be made more moisture and stain resistant with latex additives and grout sealers (applied after the job is completed and the grout has cured-each brand has different amounts of time to wait before application).

Epoxy grout is probably waterproof, but isn't the easiest thing to use, and is quite expensive.

All the guys are going to have their favorites for cement board. The one I use almost exclusively is Utilicrete. Art "Flattile" is a sales rep for that product and can answer specific questions about that product.

I recommend that you install roofing paper or heavy poly on the studs behind the cement board as per mfr's instructions. This serves as a vapor and moisture barrier for the water that may get through the grout and soak into the cement board.

As John said, let us know when you are ready to set the shower base. I do a lot of those as well, and we'll give you a few pointers.

Rob Z

Amelia
07-08-2001, 10:55 AM
O.k. several of you asked me to post when we are ready to install the shower pan. Well....we're ready! What words of wisdom do you all have for us?

Amelia
07-08-2001, 11:01 AM
Should we install the ceramic tile floor UNDER the shower pan, or only up to it, after we install the shower pan? We have decided to install the shower pan first and then tile around it, but it that correct??

Rob Z
07-08-2001, 11:20 AM
Amelia

Is this shower going in over a concrete slab orover a wood subfloor, with or with out access from below?

I'll be back home a little later, and will tell you how I install shower bases.

Rob

blackhawk
07-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Afternoon ya'll,
Just found this board, and have been reading feverishly. We are doing essentially the same project from scratch using a premade fiberglass shower pan and building the surround. I'm eagerly awaiting the tips on how to set these (I've been procrastinating on this one for a while now, and "She who must be Obeyed" is getting anxious- LOL.
Take care and thanks for a great informative board!!
Steve

RAC400
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
John,
Please explain tips you have for installation of pre-fad shower base and tiles walls. I currently have this project going on.

Thanks

RAC400
08-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Anyone??