Cawhide's Mortar Bed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cawhide's Mortar Bed

cawhidde
08-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone my name is Cindy.
We have new construction, laying shower bed ourselves!!! We ran into some difficulties. 1st- mortar bed is in no problems but when we went to lay a layer of thinset to slope it, it was up and down everywhere!! I believe it was way to runny! How thick should it be? Any pointers anyone? Also in your previous thread you said how to pack it. I understand that, but if the thinset is that thick, how am I going to get the tiles to stick? Any help PLEASE:)

Sponsored Links

cx
08-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Don't know how you got into that other thread, Cindy, but you didn't wanna be there so I moved you to your own thread. If you don't like the name of it, I'll change it for you.

Welcome aboard. Keep all your questions about your project on this thread so we can all keep up with the history. :)

And pretty soon you'll get some answers to your questions. But expect some questions before the answers start. :shades:

Rd Tile
08-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Cindy, you don't use thinset to slope your mortar bed, the mortar bed itself should be sloped, is the mortar bed that is there now flat, under or over a liner?, tell us more about what you have there.:)

cawhidde
08-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Liner is on slab on grade. On top of liner is mortar bed, level not sloped! Then thinset is on top of that and is somewhat sloped!!! ( had to rip out the tile because it was up and down. We were going to lay a new thinset bed and slope it and then the tiles. If this is no good we will get chipping hammer and start from scratch(: Thanks

davem
08-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi Cindy, welcome. :)

Find the Liberry link above and look for the shower thread. You'll find a ton of info in there that you need. Things you'll find are that:

The first mudbed is sloped, and bonded to the slab with thinset.
The liner goes next.
The final layer of mud is constant thickness, so that it will be sloped just like the pre-slope and the liner

Keep asking questions, and post pictures if you can. You can get step by step advice here so you're shower will last a lifetime. :)

John Bridge
08-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi Cindy, :)

We might ask you to remove what you have put in there and start over. Check out all the shower threads in the Liberry. Lots of pictures of shower floors construction in there.

cawhidde
08-18-2004, 07:37 AM
O.K. We started over with mortar bed. Half of it looks great, the other half is crumbling somewhat! If or should I remove whats is crumbling? If so will the new sand mix adhere to what is there? Do I need to buy some kind of additive to get the new to stick to the old? Please help, this shower floor is kicking our %$#$%%!!!!!! Also do the shower floor tiles go under the wall tiles or do they just butt up to them? Thank You Thank You Thank You

proszkow
08-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Cindy, just finished my first shower and ran into similar problems on my preslope.

Sandy top seems to be a common problem for us first time DIYers.

Just vacuum up the loose stuff and try to spread some thin set (DO NOT USE PREMIXED THIN SET) over any small divits. The preslope doesn't have to be perfect because you are going to cover it with a final slope.

I also found that I did a much better job on the final slope. I added just a touch more water, didn't work it so hard with my wood trowel and finished things up with a steel trowel (important). The final slope looked much better but I even had to touch it up a bit with thin set.

By the way after you get your preslope touched up. You will get need to get your liner and second stage of your drain installed and perform a leak test.

Then install your plastic sheets/CBU and build your curb.

Then your final slope.

It goes beter with time.

Alex