How Much $ To Give Neighbor? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How Much $ To Give Neighbor?

mackeeg
08-05-2004, 05:02 PM
My neighbor is a tile guy and lays tile for a living. He just did our bathroom 5x7 in size. The floor, the shower and half way up our walls on the rest. We bought all of the supplies. He layed it for free but we want to pay him something. I have no idea what tile guys make, so what would be a good token $ gift for him.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
08-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Hard to say what that job is worth. It could run into the thousands for the shower alone. I really can't say..

Jason

Davestone
08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Yeah,he did a lot,don't think a little money would do it,i'd think more ,maybe, helping him with somethin he needs ,that you do.Labor trade ormovie ticket and dinner,new tool or sumthin. :)

Tile Moran
08-05-2004, 06:52 PM
I have know idea what you should pay him. But I heard a good estimate for floors was $7 a square foot. Is this right? I would think it would be more.

I do know one thing, thank your lucky stars you neighbor is a tile guy because i just finished my first job and it was alot harder then I imagined. My buddy told me that laying tile was easy. I just told him he was wrong. And told me he had never laid any he just thought it looked easy. lol

bbcamp
08-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Most of the pros here that would say, said that they need $300 to $400 a day to cover expenses. How many full working days (6 to 7 hours at your place) did he put in at your job?

LadyGodiva
08-05-2004, 07:13 PM
My neighbor is a tile guy and lays tile for a living. He just did our bathroom 5x7 in size. The floor, the shower and half way up our walls on the rest. We bought all of the supplies. He layed it for free but we want to pay him something. I have no idea what tile guys make, so what would be a good token $ gift for him.
Thanks

Do you have a good, close relationship? Like good friends? I think the idea of movie tickets/dinner sounds really nice. I think it all depends on the relationship though. Did he 'offer' to do this work for you all?

BTW, I'm not a pro on this board, just a learner :).

Eli

Unregistered
08-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Do you have a good, close relationship? Like good friends? I think the idea of movie tickets/dinner sounds really nice. I think it all depends on the relationship though. Did he 'offer' to do this work for you all?

BTW, I'm not a pro on this board, just a learner :).

Eli

Yes he offered and we are good friends, and he did do a great job. I don't think dinner and movies would be enough though. How much do tile layers get a foot? I was thinking of adding the square foot of tile by X dollar amount and giving him half that. He put in about 3 days of work. It took awhile because he worked after hours.
Thanks for the replys!!

vernal888
08-05-2004, 08:16 PM
I've been lucky in having a friend to help with tiling when she's not tiling for her paying customers. Money doesn't work (actually it does work, but not usually when someone has done a friend a favor because of the inevitable argument over accepting it) -- but I've found that a good tool or two to add to her inventory has always been appreciated. A large folding triangle, dual-scale (center finding) tape measure, new saw blade, case of beer, new level, imported trowels and floats, etc. are all things that will be used every day and a reminder of how grateful you are. Its not the monetary value -- its the thought.

tileguytodd
08-05-2004, 08:23 PM
I've been lucky in having a friend to help with tiling when she's not tiling for her paying customers. Money doesn't work (actually it does work, but not usually when someone has done a friend a favor because of the inevitable argument over accepting it) -- but I've found that a good tool or two to add to her inventory has always been appreciated. A large folding triangle, dual-scale (center finding) tape measure, new saw blade, case of beer, new level, imported trowels and floats, etc. are all things that will be used every day and a reminder of how grateful you are. Its not the monetary value -- its the thought.

A Nice TM-75 Tile saw from Felker would be a nice gift.Its a nice portable little saw thats lightweight ,great for small wall tile jobs and being a Felker a highly respected tool by pro's. It will run you around 300.00 through the link in the TYW store for construction complete.If you feel really generous, get him the FTS -150.(about 600.00)he will think of you everyday he uses it and remember your kindness for buying him a lifetime tool that will help him become the best he can be :)

I just completed a Shower, wainscot and bath floor. Labor bill was 2465.00

That will give you an idea at least on how to gauge value :)

vernal888
08-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Todd is definitely on track, and if you do another tile project and your friend's not available, you could borrow the saw and do the job yourself with the help found on the forum!

Shaughnn
08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
I also got a saw from a friend who insisted on paying me for a floor and shower I did for him. If you guess at $300 per working day, you will probably be in the low end of your "very good friend's" generosity. Theater tickets and dinner reservations for the tile setter and an S.O. could work? Power tools are always a well recieved gift. Maybe cutting down that tree in your back yard that always drops it's seed=pods into his pool? :) Oh, and a simple "thank you" works well.
Shaughnn

Raymond S
08-05-2004, 10:08 PM
I know if it was me, I would much rather receive a nice surprise gift rather than money. I like Todd's idea, order him a Felker saw (without saying anything ahead of time). When it arrives just walk over and present it to him and tell him how much you appreciate him and what a good job he did.

Raymond

LadyGodiva
08-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, I agree with everyone who suggested some kind of useful gift...anything but dinero. I'd feel really weird to get money from a friend...unless of course I'm totally broke.

I do translation jobs on the side and have done one for a friend who wanted to pay me. I refused to take the cheque, so she sent me a wonderful basket filled with bath products that I absolutely loved! Couldn't say no to a present :crazy:

Eli

Matt Clark
08-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I read always, but post rarely...until I finally start that basement bath...so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I've been in this exact position...more than once, with a contractor buddy who has helped me several times. Once, we got him a gift certificate to a full-fledged contractor's tool supply house(the joint had never done one, but just made one up special) and drove him over and explained that the thing was non-refundable...he had no choice but to spend it.

I gave him about 1/3 of what he normally would've charged, which meant I saved a bundle, and he got to purchase a few "extras" that never quite fit into the budget. (I've even borrowed that cool laser transit a few times, heh, heh.)

Another time, I bought him a shotgun, because his was a P.O.S., but he'd never spend the cash to buy a new one.

He would've never accepted cash, and it would've been weird anyway. Getting him something cool let him know that I appreciated his help...and he did love that shotgun.