Bathroom floor?? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom floor??

Durezza
08-05-2004, 12:47 PM
Found this site about a month ago. Its great. Can't even tell you guys how much I've learned from reading through the posts. I am new to tiling, although, I've done work in various trades when I was younger. Now I sit at a desk all day. So I have a tendency to get into things as soon as I get out of the office.
The latest thing I've gotten into is a bathroom project in my mother's condo. She decided that she wanted new everything in there, so I decided it would be a project I'd be interested in tackling.
The shower and tub were no real problem. My past work experience got me through most of that and this site answered the questions that I had as I was going along.
Now I'm onto the floor. She's decided on a small porcelain tile. About 2 x 2. Now here's my question.....I ripped up the old tile (ceramic 4 x 4's) and there is what looks like a light gray cement floor. Most of it is in good shape. There are only certain spots where the cement came up with the tile and left me with a couple shallow holes. Now does anyone have any idea if this would be, in fact, a cement floor in a second floor condo bathroom? Or would it most likely be gypcrete which I've read about on this site? I don't know what gypcrete looks like so I'm not sure.
Can I tile right over what's there, filling in the holes with thinset?
What kind of thinset should I use? I used versabond on the shower walls (ceramic tile over the cement board I put in).
Can I use it on the floor with porcelain tiles or do I need a thinset that I modify with acrylic?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dave

Sponsored Links

Davy
08-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi Dave, I'm not sure on the type of floor you've got but I would think Versabond would stick just as good as the old tile and thinset. I would fill the holes with thinset and let dry before tiling. :)

Rd Tile
08-05-2004, 08:33 PM
It sounds like Gypcrete, which would need a membrane or I would rip it out and redo the floor with something else, mud, backerboard over plywood etc.:)

Is it rough like a mud job or smooth, scratches easy with a nail?:)

Because you said Condo, leads me to believe it's Gypcrete.:)

Durezza
08-06-2004, 09:31 AM
What's goin' on guys? Thanks for the responses.
I had the time to take a closer look at it last night. I can actually take a screw driver to the edge of one of the shallow holes and chip chunks away with very little effort.
It seems like a pretty weak substance. The place was not built with top quality anything (to say the least). I practically carried the old tub out with one hand it was so flimsy. I've decided definitely that I'm going to rip it all up.
The sad thing is that it looks like it will be pretty easy to remove. It looks like its about an inch thick down to the plywood so that should work out well.
Best way to go if I'm going to use cement board would be to lay another piece of plywood over the existing plywood after the gypcrete is removed.
Is that right?
There would be no reson for me to pull up the original plywood, right?

tilearama
08-06-2004, 11:04 AM
i just did a bathroom floor with either a mud job or gypecrete on it.the floor was cracked so i ripped it up.good thing i did,because the plywood was rotten around the toilet.fixed that then put 3/4" ply down,then 1/4" hardi bb then tiled floor.came out pretty nice.hope that helps.

jpmyhomefixer
08-08-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm at the same stage. Crobared up the concrete subfloor and tile and the wood around the toilet flange is going to have to be taken up and replaced. I have a prefab shower pan which I am hoping I do not have to take out.

John Bridge
08-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Welcome aboard, Dave. :)

Since it was tiled, were there any cracks in the old tile floor? I'm thinking it might be mud, and if so, I would not tear it out. If it is lighter shade than gray concrete, it is problably something else which should be removed. Best I can do. :)

Hi JP, Welcome to the forums. Pleas give us a first name. :)

Durezza
08-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Yep had some rotten wood under there too.

John - yes it was cracked in certain spots and the way it was cracked led me to believe the floor was flexing towards the edges of the plywood. The plywood wasn't in terrible shape, it looks like its seen some water. A couple spots were definitely rotten and have to be replaced.

What does everyone think about replacing the rotten parts and then putting 3/4 right over it with 1/4" backer board on top of that?
Would it be a good idea to pour SLC over the floor instead of backerboard. I can tile directly on the SLC....correct? and would that give me a little better sound proofing between floors or no?
It seems like the old floor (which now I'm pretty sure was gypcrete) actually acted as a pretty good sound barrier.

John Bridge
08-14-2004, 02:59 PM
SLC over lath is fine. You must use the lath, though.