stone for fireplace hearth [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : stone for fireplace hearth

DaninDetroit
08-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi, all.

We're going to be removing the carpet in the den, and installing a wood floor. In front of the fireplace, I thought an area of stone would be best. The carpet has taken a beating from cinders, so I thought stone would be a better choice than wood for this spot.

In the attached photo, you can see the fireplace surround is painted brick, and the existing hearth (elevated) is also painted...I think it might be concrete.

So I'm looking for suggestions about what kind of stone to put there...are there any particularly suited to fireplace hearths? Is there anything I should stay away from (like a polished stone?)

Assuming the floor checks out on the deflecto-meter, how thick should this piece be (it will probably be 4' long x 2 or 3' wide)

And, any suggestions where to look for the material?

Thanks for your input!

Dan

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Dan,

Are you talking about mounting the stone slab on top of the hearth or in front of it? :)

DaninDetroit
08-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Hi, John,

In front of the fireplace, on the floor where the rug has been scorched.

Dan

Builderwoman
08-06-2004, 12:37 PM
What's your wall colour? Do you and the family like it? Would you consider repainting those white bricks? If so then you would give yourselves quite a lot of flexibility in choosing tile colour and material. My woodburning fireplace has a mixed rock face. The hearth is multicolour slate. Gorgeous!

branty1uk
08-06-2004, 01:21 PM
A nice thick piece of dark slate.

DaninDetroit
08-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Gina,

The walls are pine-paneled, kind of a dark honey color. There are custom cherry wood shutters on the windows. I wish the bricks hadn't been painted in the first place, but the whole brick fireplace wall, including the mantel (which matches the elevated hearth) is painted white.

Branty1uk,

I like the idea of slate, I think...how thick should a piece like this be? A transition between the wood floor and stone is fine, but I'd rather it not be too big a step.

Thanks!

Dan

Builderwoman
08-07-2004, 12:45 AM
If it were my home, I would either strip or paint the bricks (depending on what kind of shape the bricks are in and whether I like the look of them) Keep in mind that painting over is infinitely easier than stripping. Then I'd either replace the mantel with a nice piece of cherry or fake it with a nice clear piece of pine stained cherry. Finally, I would put a rich multicolour slate on both the raised hearth and the area in front of it that you are concerned about scorching. Think warm, rich, comfortable and inviting. Good Luck.

tileguytodd
08-07-2004, 07:35 AM
The white brick would have to go if it were my house.

Slate the entire thing. Take a look at some waterjet deco's for inserts.

Ive got 1 i'll be doing that includes a loon and a wolf with deer tracks running across the front of the hearth(a bit of northwoods appeal) they have a variety of deco's that can be made to suit any taste though :)

DaninDetroit
08-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I've stripped wood before, but never brick and mortar. Can it be done effectively without sandblasting? (There's no way I'm gettin' the OK to bring a sandblaster into the house.) :laugh2:

I don't think re-doing the fireplace is going to happen this time around. I'll be installing wood floors (probably Jatoba) in the kitchen, living room, and den, but I need to decide what to do in front of the fireplace (on the floor) first.

Depending on the required thickness and whether it will be a slab of stone or some tile, I can plan that space and the transition between the two.

Here's another photo of the fireplace with some of the paneling in the background:

Dan

Monicakm
08-07-2004, 11:50 PM
You could get a faux paint artist in there and he/she could do WONDERS with that fireplace! They could make it look like stone/rock, give it depth with mixed mottled colors and glazing. The possibilities are endless.
Monica

branty1uk
08-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Rob on another thread does some great slate work, check it out might give you some ideas.
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=182102#post182102

DaninDetroit
09-20-2004, 11:58 AM
The flooring project is progressing well, and I'm at the point where I need to install the hearth.

The decision has been made to go with a 3/4" slab of "Botticino Classico" marble, 24" by 48". It will be installed on the floor in front of the raised hearth, and the floor checks out on the deflectometer.

I'd like to plan for the slab to be flush with the hardwood floor surrounding it, so here's the plan for installation: Above the joists and 1X6 planks, 3/4" plywood for the wood floor, #15 felt, then the 3/4" T&G flooring.

In the cutout area for the hearth, what's the recommendation for a slab? Can I use Schluter Ditra, or should I use cement board? If I use 1/4" plywood and 5/16" cement board, I'll be within 1/16" of the hardwood floor.

Would this installation be sufficient or would you recommend 1/2" plywood instead?

Thanks,

Dan