Modular Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Modular Tile

dkyowell
08-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I am getting ready to lay 3x6 Daltile subway tiles in my bathroom. The box has them labeled "3x6 MODULAR". The Daltile website specifies a grout width of 1/16". The tiles themselves are exactly 3"x6".

Can I deduce from the "MODULAR" label that the tiles are designed to butt directly against each other? When butted against each other, the grout width is just under 1/16" (A 1/16" spacer won't quite squeze between them.)

-David

Sponsored Links

muskymike
08-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi David you can spread them out a hair from one another then the grout line will be about a strong 1/16.

Shaughnn
08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi David,
The tile should have continuous "lugged" edges which will give you a hairline of a grout joint. Dal's white tile is usually pretty good about keeping those lugs clean of glaze but the darker colors have so much glaze applied that it can run over the edges and spoil the lugs, so be careful. I like to set a course of tile and them slip the edge of my Marshaltown margin trowel (Marshaltown used good steel so it's much thinnner metal) into the joint and slide it along the length of the course to "open" it up just a little bit. I space the vertical joints when I lay the course so I don't need to spread them this way.
If you have long walls or a deffinate terminiation point, it's a good idea to check the open ends of your patterns occasionally to make sure that the vertical joints are all in line. I'll figure out the total length of four or five tiles (laid down loosely for a little extra joint) and use that measurement to draw plumb lines spaced apart by that distance. If any of your courses are off of this line, you know that you've got to adjust the course to bring it back into plumb with the rest of the tile.
"Modular" tile are tiles which, when placed in a pattern, automatically create a certain sized grout joint.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

John Bridge
08-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi David,

As Shaughnn says, you can lay them up using the spacer lugs on the tiles themselves. You will have to shim individual tiles here and there to keep your courses running true. I've only used the white ones, but they lay up pretty easily. :)