Fossils In Travertine [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Fossils In Travertine

Bill L.
08-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I just had 1700 sq ft of Turkish travertine (chisel edge finish) installed and after the grout was spread across the top of the tile, thousands of nautilus or snail shell fossils became visible. The shells are about 3/4 inch across in size and appear in about 10% of the tiles. Although I don't mind the fossils (they look interesting), I imagine some people would be unhappy with them as they are unexpected and not generally visible until the grout fills in the cavities. My questions: Are fossils common in travertine tile, or did I just get a cheap batch ($4/sq ft)? What other fossils are commonly found in travertine (insect, fish, worms)?

Sponsored Links

branty1uk
08-04-2004, 03:02 PM
I have seen plenty of fossils in limestone and other sedimentry stone, the reason for that is better explained here.http://www.promotega.org/ksu00006/sediment.htm (sedimentry rocks.)
As travertine is a marble, which is metamorphosed limestone, that is why you, get plant and animal fosils there.
http://www.promotega.org/ksu00006/metamorphic.htm (Metamorphic Rock.)

John Bridge
08-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Yes, I don't think people would be upset. I should think the fosils are desirable. Maybe it's just me, though. :)

Unregistered
08-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Hey John, You're not in the UK at the moment are you? Because I was driving through the blackwall tunnel east London, when I see this guy driving a little red citreon like a mad man, when he pulls up next to me he was a dead ringer for you.I couldnt belive the likeness, he must of wondered why this big guy kept staring at him, come to think of it that might of explained his crazy driving.

Unregistered
08-05-2004, 12:42 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats me

branty1uk
08-05-2004, 12:44 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They're both me

Shaughnn
08-05-2004, 12:51 AM
I'll casually look through cases of travertine when I'm mixing them up and pull out interesting features, which I'll try to remember to install at key points (around shower valves, near sinks, faces of fireplaces, etc). It's usually subtle but when it has been noticed I've gotten nothing but compliments. I think that people may subconciously pick it up but it's not enough to "register". They just "like it', and don't really know why. :)
Shaughnn