Staining Saltillo Tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Staining Saltillo Tiles

Unregistered
08-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Ive seen online the aquatint product that stains saltillo tiles but they only come in shades of red or white. I am intereted in knowing if anyone has had experience with using other kinds of stains like concrete stain to get different colors?.. I am wanting a warm grey color stain and havent been able to source one.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
08-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Try putting some portland in water and sponge it on a piece,you might be surprised,i know it'll suck it in and i know it'll stain that color, you just gotta let it dry and check it out.

John Bridge
08-03-2004, 06:20 PM
We're talking about raw Saltillo now. Any woodworking stain will work. The oil stains are the best. You seal the tile with a penetrating sealer BEFORE you apply the stain. The sealer prevents the stain from taking over and blotching up your tile. You can wipe the stain on with a rag and then wipe it off with a clean rag. Fiddle around until you get the effect you like.

You can also brush the stain on and leave the brush strokes visible. You finish the project with a surface sealer (top coating).