Shower Caulk [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Caulk

Steve B
06-26-2001, 04:00 PM
We tiled a new shower and waited approximately a week before caulking the joint between the floor and walls. Everything looked good for approximately 2 months and now the caulk is separating. I will remove the old caulk but would like to diagnose the problem before I recaulk(word?). Thanks for your help in advance and I really enjoy the forum.

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
06-26-2001, 04:19 PM
Steve B,

Flukes can happen, there's no telling why your caulk didn't "take". Everything must be thoroughly dry and free from dust for the caulk to work as it should. What type caulk did you use. And out of curiosity what is the consistency now, is it hard?

I would suggest DAP or even better an adhesive caulk. Just be sure it is "tub and tile" rated. Not all caulks are created equal, and don't buy the cheapest thing you can find.

Bri
06-26-2001, 04:23 PM
Nothing unusual there...there is a lot of settling and shrinkage in a new installation,especially if you've mixed different products together(wood,cement,plastics)...I'm sure you'll get some other ideas as to the cause/and/or/solution.

Brian

John Bridge
06-26-2001, 05:04 PM
Caulking is a necessary evil. None of it works the way it is supposed to. Can you believe they sell caulking that is guaranteed for 35 years?

All of the latex/acrylic caulks will emusify if subjected to continuous wet. The silicones may hold up a little better.

Bri
06-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Holy Crap! I've just been promoted to Senior Member! Beers on me!(as soon as I get my seniors pension cheque)

Bud Cline
06-26-2001, 06:44 PM
AH!!!!! Another senior member. When do we get our John Bridge Show coffee/beer mugs?

LDavis
06-26-2001, 06:45 PM
Ditto John on the silicone caulk. Holds up much better in wet areas, especially the floor/wall transition in a shower.

Bud Cline
06-26-2001, 06:51 PM
Silicone would be fine if you could get it in place and have it presentable when your done, I've never learned to do that I guess. I have recaulked many tubs/etc. and have found the existing silicone (when used) will immediately peel out in one long length so I may challenge the effectiveness of using silicones on some really smooth surfaced tiles. I think it releases (if it sticks at all) and you never know it has released.

kalford
06-26-2001, 09:49 PM
I always use acrylic/latex w/silicone.It gives you the cleanability/workability of latex and the adhesion flexibility of silicone without the mess a pure silicone caulk leaves behind.
I've never had any problems with it.

If you noticed,most of the color-match caulks smade by/for companies like TEC,C-Cure,etc., are acrylic latex w/silicone.

Bud Cline
06-27-2001, 06:43 AM
Yeah I agree that most of the siliconized caulks work fine from a tooling and placement standpoint.

I hate it when I work my jeans off to finish up a job with nice caulk joints and then the glass company comes along installing shower partitions on top of my work and GOBS silicone everywhere.

Harry
06-27-2001, 11:19 AM
Glass Companies .... grrrr!
I'm with you Bud, the most simple and final procedure if not done right, can make the whole job look bad.

Steve, I think that if you clean the area well and maybe give a final wipe with a solvent ..... let dry and re-apply silicon (less is best)it should be fine.

John Bridge
06-27-2001, 03:08 PM
There is some sort of silicone I get at HD that goes on white and dries clear. Maybe it's an acrylic with silicone. I'll have to look the next time I go to the "Home."

Bud, for becomming a senior member we send you a six pack of beer just like we sent to Diane Holme's husband. Remember? [You're telling me we still haven't sent that six pack? What do you mean, no money?]

Bud Cline
06-27-2001, 03:56 PM
More than willing to chip-in just tell me where to send the Food Stamps. Can you buy beer with Food Stamps?

John Bridge
06-28-2001, 06:13 AM
No, and that's probably the main reason I've never applied for food stamps. I mean, there're more or less worthless, aren't they?

Harry
06-28-2001, 02:47 PM
Too bad guys ...
Only up here in Canada is beer actually considered part of the "food group".