bed for a shower pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : bed for a shower pan

hyzer
08-02-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm installing a shower pan (swanstone mold) and have a few concerns as to what I should set it in. Should I use, mortar,sakrete sand mix, thinset, bubblegum? I used about half of a 60lb bag of basalite mortar but ended up getting paranoid and scooped it all out before it setup. The pan didnt seem to set in properly or the mortar seemed very course. I may have mixed it to dry I dont know. Is the basalite mortar I used the same as a sakrete sand mix? The pan 42x36 is super level and the sub foor has 1/8" bow. Thanks in advance for any help or opinions.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
08-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Mason's mortar or Sakrete sand mix is OK. You want to mix it a little looser than for a mud bed so it will flow, but it should'nt be sloppy. When you squeeze it, it should hold together, and a little wetness on your hands is OK.

John Bridge
08-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi Hyser. Welcome. :) Please give us a first name.

What Bob said.

The brick mortar has to be loose, but it can't be sloppy. I like to do it in little mounds so that it will squish down easily but will still support the shower base. I've never been able to get a good picture of the process. It's alway dark under there. :)

hyzer
08-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Jason is my first name and thanks John and bbcamp for your fast replies. These forum's are awsome. I wish I would of found them sooner. Maybe one last question. Whats your opinion or knowledge on setting the pan in modified thinset mortar instead of mason's mortar.

bbcamp
08-03-2004, 05:34 AM
I think that thinset would ooze away from the bottom of the pan. Thinset is not supposed to be very thick. OTH, if what you were trying to say earlier about the 1/8" dip in the subfloor is that you only have a 1/8" gap, then thinset will work. Use unmodified, though. You aren't trying to glue the pan to the floor, just take out any gap.

hyzer
08-03-2004, 10:53 AM
BBcamp,

You read my mind about the 1/8" thing. Thanks for the advice. I'll go for it and try to quit bugging you guys.