What do I need to cut and how do I bullnose granite tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to cut and how do I bullnose granite tile

cobrakai
08-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Hello,

I am about to start a project of making a granite tile counter top and installing travertine floor tiles in the entire first floor. While I have installed ceramic tiles before, I have never installed stone.
What type of tile saw and blade do I need? Are the rentals at home depot sufficient?
What should I be aware of when cutting granite and travertine tile?
How do I bullnose the granite tile? Do I need a special grinding tool and/or bit? How do I get the polish?
What are the 123 do's and don'ts to stone tile installation?

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Welcome abaord, Vinny. :)

For a granite countertop job is it usually easier and cheaper to use pre-made granite bullnose or to have a local fabricating shop do the bullnosing for you. Buy the time you made the necessary investment in tools you would more than have paid for the bullnosing work.

To do a travertine job that large I would suggest you buy a ten-inch tile saw and sell it when you've finished. Renting a saw for that much work will eat you alive. The Felker FTS-150 is a good quality, low-price tool. Click the Felker banner at the top of the page. :)

Concrete slab or wood subfloor?

muskymike
08-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah Vinnie, John's right. I spent $750 on a profiling blade and a wet polisher so I could make BN for this job I had. Of course I had to make about 200 pieces of various material, but now I can make BN for any job if the people are willing to pay. Besides it's not so easy to do. ;)

cobrakai
08-01-2004, 02:17 PM
John,

Thanks for your reply

The subfloor is concrete slab.

cobrakai
08-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Currently the popular pattern of installing the travertine tile is in a diamond pattern. This would require a tremendous amount of cutting from what I imagine.
Is there a way to reduce the cutting?
How should I set it up to maintain a uniform pattern? What do you recommend for alignment?

Kirk Downey
08-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Vinny -

I would suggest that you look into yourself and choose a pattern that will please you. Fashions change and tile is set in some form of concrete. It is expensive and disruptive to replace. Personally A diamond pattern that would include cutting would leave you with narrow diamonds - a harlequin type graphic. Sort of busy by my unsolicited opinion. :shades: Setting squares on a diagonal rather than perpendicular to the walls is often done to make smaller spaces feel larger.

You're in Orange County - Bedrosians.com has several patterns on their website. I like the versailles pattern - an old world touch. I love the ancient quality of that pattern. There is a showroom on State College Blvd in Anaheim. As a matter of fact teh last time I was down there - there are a lot of tile and stone vendors concentrated in a few blocks along state college.

Captain Kirk out

God is Love

cobrakai
08-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the information. Yes, I am aware of Tile Mile in Anahiem, CA, it's about 40 tiles distributors along a mile stretch of road. I have been able to get great pricing on stone there. All of the showrooms now display tile laid out diagonally to the wall versus the traditional square reference. Thank's for your advise about fad styles of laying stone and will check out the website you've recommended.