tile over formica [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile over formica

jlscally
06-26-2001, 01:51 PM
Greetings to the tile experts,

Is it do-able to tile over the existing kitchen formica counter top. Some say yes and some say no. I'm looking for a very inexpensive way to enhance the look of my small kitchen. We are currently in a condo and are looking to sell in approx. 1-2 yrs. so I don't want to invest alot of $$.....and living in Fairfield Cty, CT, everything is expensive.

please tell me what I want to here. Thanks

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
06-26-2001, 03:30 PM
YES, YES, YES!

Now, how is your sink installed? Can it be removed and re-installed?

You wouldn't want to tile directly onto the laminate without first installing maybe some 1/4" cement board, "glued and screwed".

What type splash is there if any? Are you going to tile that if you have one? If so same (cement board) goes for the splash and the top of the splash and the CT lip (drop).

But you sure can do it, no problem, it's done everyday, just go for it, yes sirree, you betcha, yip, ah-huh.

Is that what you want to hear???

John Bridge
06-26-2001, 05:01 PM
Hi, Welcome. You sure got Bud excited! I think he's telling you to remove the sink and then reinstall it over the tile. And the backer board is a good idea.

John

Bud Cline
06-26-2001, 06:46 PM
YES, YES, YES, DO IT, DO IT.

"GO FOR IT"!

jlscally
06-27-2001, 07:13 AM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. And yes, of course, I was going to take out the sink and then replace it back over the tiles. However the backsplash is formica as well. I was going to remove it and replace it with the same tile as the counter.

You guys are the best!

John Bridge
06-27-2001, 03:10 PM
That's a pretty shrewd approach, Bud. Tell 'em what they want to hear and make them love you. Is that it?

Bud Cline
06-27-2001, 03:54 PM
Yeh I know, just didn't want any controversy and they can't get in any trouble doing what they want to do (this time). I would be curious to know why they were advised against the process.

Some things I take for granted I find others are sometimes dead against and I'm always at a loss to understand that, but always willing and anxious to learn something.

Besides they said to tell them what they wanted to hear, so I did.

John Bridge
06-28-2001, 06:10 AM
Without the CBU I would advise not to do it. Guess I'm one of the guys you can't figure out.

My reason is that I think the counters would have too much bounce and deflection. Laminating on the CBU has to make a difference.

bbcamp
06-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Folks, the problem is not with the formica, but what the formica is glued to. Usually, it is particle board, which is the worst possible material for use under tile. If the particle board gets wet, like through a gap in the formica or at the sink cutout, then the material swells to the point where the tiles fail. We don't want that to happen, so we always recommend ripping out the formica coundtertop and replacing everything with plywood and backerboard.

Tile is forever, so the installation methods should be too.