Roxolania's Granite over formica question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Roxolania's Granite over formica question

roxolania
07-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi all, I'm new here and I have a similar question. I am considering granite tile countertops. My kitchen was custom built in 1960 - with formica countertops. The countertops appear to have been fabricated by bonding the formica to 1 1/4" plywood --the formica appears solidily adhered to the wood and the countertop is level with no sagging or warping. What steps/materials would you recommend in such a case?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
07-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Hi, Roxolania! I split your post off into an new thread so your project isn't lost in the other one. You'll get better advice from the old codgers, er, tilesetting pros, that way. :D

Seeing as how i'm neither an old codger or a tile setting pro, you can take this for what it's worth. The real pros will set us both straight if I'm wrong: If you do indeed have plywood under your formica, then you can use it for your new countertop. You simply install backerboard using thinset and screws, then set your tiles. You counter top will be a bit higher than before, but if that's OK with you, then have at it!

Bob

John Bridge
07-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Rox, ;)

I agree with old Bob. 1/4 in. backer board or Schluter Ditra. :)

roxolania
07-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll be checking in again after I've looked around and narrowed down my tile selection.