Tiling a front porch [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling a front porch

Steve C
07-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Is this a great forum or what?

I'm planning to tlle a front porch, and would appreciate input. The details are:

Unsealed concrete, approx. 8' x 8', 2 years old, no cracks

Covered, open on two sides

Location is southwestern Illinois (close to St. Louis) - temps range from -10 to +105 or so, lots of freezing and thawing in the winter, high humidity most of the time (why do I live here?).

I'm looking for a tile type that will be durable and not exceptionally slippery when wet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links

JTG
07-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Find a porcelain tile that is freeze/thaw rated and become familiar with the Schluter Ditra system

http://schluter.com/english/products/2002/sectionf/overview-f/section-f.html

Steve C
07-26-2004, 10:06 PM
I've used Ditra and was planning to use it here. Same thinset method as indoors? (modified under the Ditra, unmodified over?)

Davestone
07-27-2004, 04:50 AM
Yep,on the thinset ,hey Steve i used to live in Mcleansboro,and East St. Louis,born in St. Louis-go Cards.

John Bridge
07-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Dave, Get real. McCleans-boro? Were you in the McTile business up there, too? :D

Scooter
07-27-2004, 05:02 PM
The TCA has a construction spec for installation exterior tile subject to freeze thaw. It involves a sloped mortar bed, a membrane and a drainage mat.