Ceramic Tile-Floor Installation [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tile-Floor Installation

Unregistered
07-25-2004, 07:26 PM
I want to have installed in my kitchen, either ceramic or porcelain tile (8 x 8s). My sub-floor is one inch diagonal (1945) but in excellent condition. I have over that, 3/8 inch plywood and vinyl tiles. I know that I need to rip-up the old plywood and tile. However, what should I use over that. I had a "tile guy" tell me that I needed 3/4 plywood on top of the sub-floor and then another 1/2 inch of Durock. I think that he's nuts. I would need steps to get into the other rooms. What should be the minimum including the sub-flooring. Is 3/8 inch durock screwed and thinset over the sub-flooring ok? Please advise.

Sponsored Links

muskymike
07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
You could use 1/2" ply then ditra.

cx
07-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Welcome, Un. Register and give us a first name to use, eh? Only friendly cookies delivered from this site and we never share/give/sell or otherwise divulge any information to anybody who ain't us. :)

Tell us also about the joist structure under that sub-flooring. Size of joists, spacing of joists, and longest unsupport span of joists.

If you remove the existing plywood and flooring and height is an issue, I agree with Mike's suggestion. It's possible to use 3/8ths plywood, but I don't like anything thinner than 1/2 myownself. Using Ditra will save you a little height, is easier to install, and costs a little more, but you could also use 1/4 inch CBU, which is a little thicker, more difficult to install, but also less expensive for the DIYer.

But first let's see if your joist structure needs any help.

My opinion; worth price charged.