Leaky Shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Shower

ilansa
05-05-2001, 10:30 PM
I have an all tile shower on the second floor and recently discovered it was leaking onto the bottom floor. I've decided to completely remove the tile (floor+walls) and install a Jacuzzi shower base and 3 wall enclosure. This seems like the best solution to me as far as preventing leaks in the future. I know you're a tile and mud guy, but do u think this is a good solution and are you aware of any problems or any special installation precautions I should take?

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
05-06-2001, 09:30 AM
Yeah, going from ceramic tile to plastic sets me back a little, but I'm not that much of a prude. Guess I'm mellowing out with age.

The only thing that confuses me, though, is the "Jacuzzi shower base." Is it some sort of special deal with jets, etc., or is it just the standard plastic (acrylic/fiber glass) shower base?

In any case, there are two considerations when going to a pre-built unit: The drain pipe/trap has to be moved to the exact center to accommodate the new base, and the space has to be adapted to fit the new unit. You'll have to do a bit of carpentry and drywall work at the least.

Further, it is absolutely critical that the base be set perfectly level all the way around, or it could leak out the front. And, I would set the base in brick mortar so that it is fully supported underneath.

Those are the basics. Let us know if you need more.

[Edited by Admin on 05-06-2001 at 10:32 AM]

ilansa
05-06-2001, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

The base is just a base, no jets or anything fancy...a picture speaks 1000 words: http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/showers/designer/kalara_paloma.html

Yes, there will be some framing work since my existing shower is a bit larger than the new enclosure. I do worry about what damage I'll find once I tear everything out, this could get expensive!

ilansa
05-06-2001, 09:46 AM
Another problem: I have a window going across the shower wall that I would have to eliminate before installing the enclosure, do I just remove it, frame it in, and do the stucco repair on the exterior?

John Bridge
05-06-2001, 10:16 AM
Ilansa,

The stucco repair could prove to be the trickiest part of the project. I would definitely get someone who knows what he or she is doing. Blending it in will take some doing.

An alternative might be to somehow disguise the opening, say, with shutters. I am also aware that some people merely paint the inside of the glass and leave the window in place. Something to think about.