Tile Underlayment [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile Underlayment

Unregistered
07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
I am doing a renovation on my home. I pulled up the existing floor and found hardwood floors covered with a particle board underlayment. Is this a sufficient underlayment to install tile on or do i need to add a layer of cement board to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Byron

Sponsored Links

Unregistered
07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
OK,

i did a search and pretty much found out that i should not use particle board as an underlayment material.

I saw two options to my scenario. I can cut the particle board up or i can put cement board over it.

If i cut it up .. can anyone give me a tip on how to cut at the edges of the walls? it goes beneath some partition walls. Also when i get to the bathroom .. how would i get the board up at the edges of the tub , etc.? Do i have to take those out (please say no).

IT seems easier to just apply the cement board over the underlayment. Is this a recommended action to take.

FYI- The structure of the house is as follows. (1930(s)) i think. There are true 4x4 columns on concrete piers spaced 48" apart in one direction and 74" in the other direction. On these are true 4x6 (joists/beams). Above those are true 2x6 beams spaced at 18" spanning the 74" between piers.

The floor are hardwood 3/4"x12. Then above that is the 3/4" particle board underlayment material.

Thanks for any help

tileguytodd
07-14-2004, 09:04 PM
You can rent a toe kick saw for close cutting.Do not put CBU over particle board.Remove it and add plywood then CBU or Ditra.

This thread will likely be moved to the tile advice forum so dont be surprised to find it there :)

OK sic him guys LOL

sun
07-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Ok, i've registered. THis post is from me.

btw .. the 3/4 x 12" hardwood is actually 1" x 12"

This renovation is for a rental unit. Wondering if it cost effective to just goto home depot and get some of that new fangled fake wood plastic laminate type flooring ... been reading the forums .. what do u guys thing?

tileguytodd
07-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Sun, we are tilepeople,we think anything not tile doesnt actually exist :D

You need to do what you are comfortable with but remeber,no pain no gain.We are here to help you through your first project and you wont be the first who has never done this before.Look at the alumni album at some work accomplished by first timers with our help.
You can do it if youve a mind to.

You had the heart to research, now get up the courage to make it happen ;)