Pergo right up to the fireplace and needs hearth instead [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pergo right up to the fireplace and needs hearth instead

Unregistered
07-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi.. a quick question for people who know.. :)

I am looking at a house I want to buy.. but the owners put down pergo flooring last year. When the installers came to the hearth around the fireplace, they told the owners that they didn't need a hearth and that the pergo would work just fine in its place.

I had the building inspector come, and he told me that not having any hearthstone on the floor under the fireplace is not up to code and is asking for trouble.

So.. what are the possibilities about fixing this? I don't know if there is still hearthstone under the pergo or if the floor installers ripped that up to put the pergo down.

I will be asking the owners to fix this. How would you recommend fixing a problem like this?

Would you just glue the new ceramic stone on top of the pergo? Would you cut away the pergo to 18" deep and to 6" on the sides of the hearth and re-lay the ceramic tile? What is involved if the flooring below the pergo is just concrete?

If they do the job themselves, how do I make sure that they use a ceramic tile I will be happy with?

If they offer me money to get it fixed myself, how much could it cost?

Thank you for any help or advice you have about this.

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
07-11-2004, 07:02 AM
If you are looking for a quick fix to your problem you can set 2" thick Patio block directly on the floor and set your stove on this.
If you want a more permanent answer and more decorative,remove the Laminate in the area to be tiled,Or Build a raised framework add plywood 1/2" concrete board and tile.
Also, there are some pretiled fireplace pads available at fireplace shops that can be used and would be a halfway medium in cost.
some look very good but you need to assess wether they will suit your individual situation.These can also be placed directly on top of the pergo as they are not attached.

cx
07-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Don't think he's got a stove, Todd, sounds like a built-in fireplace to moi.

I'd want to cut out the Pergo. You can get trim strips to treat the edges (the Pergo is not attached to the floor at all, so you gotta do something with the edges).

Then tile over the concrete you find under there. If you don't find any concrete - - - well, then you have this other problem. Do you know what's under the rest of the floor?

How do you ensure that they install tile you'll be happy with? Well, I suppose you could threaten to kill them, but be sure the realtor isn't listening. :D

If you accept dinero in lieu of the repair, don't let the house burn down before you get it fixed. The inspector is correct and your insurance company ain't gonna be happy if they get holt of that report.

How much dinero? Dunno.

Mike2
07-11-2004, 09:54 AM
I agree completely with everything said. If the fireplace is relatively new it should be easy to get the installation instructions through the manufacturer's website which will spell out in detail all the necessary clearances to combustibles along with approved materials and installation methods. These instructions should be followed to the letter, by whomever doing the work. :nod:

Unregistered
07-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Thank you so much, each one of you, for your reply. The home is a Legends home, and the builder is still in the area, so I am hoping the homeowner will contact the builder and get the necessary information.

It looks like I will need to pay the building inspector to go back out and see if the job was done properly, along with the other things that need to be fixed before the closing.

Thank you for the other things I hadn't considered that you talked about.

This forum will be very helpful to me as a new homeowner, once the closing is complete.

Thank you again.. :)