Tiling kids bath countertop with drop in sink, where does the waterproof layer go? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling kids bath countertop with drop in sink, where does the waterproof layer go?

kperkins41
06-17-2004, 01:44 PM
My first tile job.
I am redoing a 4' by 25" kids bathroom countertop with sink. I ripped everything out and am doing the following:

- 3/4 inch plywood ( dont think its exterior or AC), galvanized screwed to the frame every 5 inches.
- 15 pound roofing paper stapled to 3/4 inch
- 1/4 inch cement backer embedded in Mapei Ultraflex 2
- I plan to thinset and screw a 1/4 inch thick by ~ 1.5 inch wide piece of backerboard to the front vertical edge of the counter for the counter front edge tile ( looks like an L angle ) tile to bond to. I will tape the joing and put thinset in it.
- Let it dry for ~24 hours
- tiles in Mapei Ultraflex 2
-let dry 24 hours
- grout
- let dry
- sink install

Questions:

Is the roofing paper in the right place in this sandwich? Should I use something better like "ice and Water shield" or a waterproofing film?

Is 24 hours enough time for the morter to cure? Can I start the next steps sooner?

Also the front edge tiles (look like L angle) just hang down and stop. The bottom edge is black. How do I finish the bottom edge of these or do I just leave it flush with the backer board?

Keith

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
06-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Keith,

I wouldn't worry too much about the waterproofing on the vanity. Skip the paper. You need the mortar between the plywood and the CBU.

Also, no need to wait 24hrs after the CBU is installed before you tile. You can start immediately

Jason

John Bridge
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi Keith, Welcome aboard. :)

The edge pieces are called "V-caps." They usually just hand down an eighth or so below the backer.