starting to lay tile in shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : starting to lay tile in shower

Timothy S
05-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Hello All !
Its been a while! Im in the process of figuring the tile layout,Im using 13 1/8 x 19 3/4 lux Sorrento porcelan tiles on the walls in the 6x4.5 shower." Long end horizontal"

I have my preslope,liner,1/2"durock,curb in place! The question is Im afraid to start setting the wall tile with out the final floor mud in place to hold all in place. I drew a lazer level line at base for 1 1/2 final mud floor,and to lock in durock.

I guess mounting perimiter wood strips at second course above liner to hold tile up on walls,and putting lower tiles in after the floor is done. Is this the best way ?

Thanks in Advance Tim

Sponsored Links

Mike2
05-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi Tim and welcome to the Forum.

The question is Im afraid to start setting the wall tile with out the final floor mud in place to hold all in place.

What's driving your concerns Tim? :)

Timothy S
05-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi Mike
My Question is this tile Im using is heavy, and its the first time Im setting wall tile without the floor in place!
Whats the best way to install the tile from first course at floor with blocking or at second course with wood 1xs anchored to wall around shower as a support? Tile is going to ceiling.

Mike2
05-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Blocking the first course off the deck is a good way to go. Measure down from the top carefully of course. With those large tiles Tim you may want to start out laying only a few courses at a time and have some masking tape on hand to hold everything in place until the thinset sets up. :)

muskymike
05-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Tim,
Mike's right on the starting out, I always start off the floor, 2nd row. I use a straight edge propped up with some tile then level it, you can use a 1by make sure its straight. Also I wouldn't go too high with the big tile, like Mike said (those Mikes always right!) couple of rows 2 maybe 3 until the thinset goes off. Where in Chi town are ya?

Timothy S
05-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks Mike2/Musky
I guess Im just Chicken! I turn wrenches for a Living. Once I get going it will be easy I hope.

Hey two more questions Im mounting a aluminum better bench in one corner. I think I should mount it to the wall first before tiling to lock it in place! its the 30"

And not going to be the last Question! 2 nitches durock sides and mudded shelfs going to use redguard to seal is there a mesh required for corners prior to coating?

Do you tile inside of nitches first or last after walls?
Im using 4x4 tumbled limestone for nitches and shower floor.

"Musky" Im from the Cubs side of town first Suburb north of the city" Lincolnwood". thanks Tim

muskymike
05-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Tim,
Yes mount the bench before you tile. On the niche, use cbu tape and mud them with thinset. I smooth the joints after it has set some with a sponge. The way I did mine is set the tumbled on a thin piece of cbu then set in as one then did everything to that, then I will tile to the niche.Like this:

Timothy S
05-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Musky Mike
I better stay away from this computer the old lady is getting pissed cause I aint done yet! Tim