Another "grout too light" newbie ;-] [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Another "grout too light" newbie ;-]

collissa
04-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi ~
Been all over the net for days now as per grout drying too light. Used Laticrete's custom Chocolate Truffle and it is anything but! I have considered grout dye (groutdye.com), vinegar cleaning, Stone Beauty, and have already carefully cleaned different areas of grout to see what would happen as per getting rid of possible haze.

What I've noticed and found on the net today is that areas are definitely darkening up, albeit in varying degrees, as the days progress since original grout application (it was done before 24 hours post tile installation...a week ago Friday, makes it 13 days now.)

Anyhoo, am wondering if I should just hold up and see what happens within the next week or two as per it darkening up naturally, or try a little TSP or Simple Green as per removing possible haze...

I'm so desperate, was thinking of purposefully applying olive oil and sealing over THAT to make it look as great as it does when wet! :D Hey, I've been known to use some outrageous things to paint decorative trims on walls pre-sealer that lasted till we repainted! 'Ya neva know!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...Great site...

Sponsored Links

Davestone
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
The past year a lot of companies came out with their(new line) of grouts and there having some problems matching their grout samples,i would try to stick with experienced colors.

John Bridge
04-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Hello Collissa, Welcome. :)

Most of the grout problems we encounter around here can be fixed with various cleaning methods. We first recommend using a fifty-fifty solution of vinegar and water in conjunction with a stiff brush. This is for ceramic tile, not marble or travertine. You didn't mention what type of tile.

I don't think there is any point in waiting. A couple weeks is certainly long enough. Go with the vinegar. Scrub it really well, and rinse with clean water. Let it dry and tell us what you think. :D

collissa
04-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks so much for the advice as per vinegar solution. I'm assuming white vinegar would be preferable...Should I be concerned as to excessive pressure w/use of the brush taking up any of the grout? When I've scrubbed pretty good with a cloth some of it does come off on the cloth.

As to the tile, it's a porcelain from Italy (if that means anything!) - Unicom Starker Ceramic Group - Gress...

Again, so glad you are here. I will be recommending you to any and everyone I know...Great help...

Mike2
04-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi Collissa:

White vinegar, yes. Usually 50:50 will work. May have to mix stronger. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then use whatever agressive force is necessary to remove it. It's got to come off. :nod:

collissa
04-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Whoops! Just found out the tile says Noce Travertino...So, where from here?...

Also, my husband said the color of the grout in the bag - pre water addition - was definitely lighter than the sample the dealer showed us when we picked the color...does this mean it will get no darker with any other alternative than a stain?

When it is wet, it's the right color...

Mike2
04-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi again;

Well now we may have another problem to solve. Let me replay what I think I am hearing. Basically you were given the wrong color of grout, right?

P.S. When it's wet (and when all of the grout is wet), is the color uniform? I know it's the right color when it's wet, but is it uniform? That could be very important for the next step, solution.

Collissa Weber
04-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Okay...The grout was called Chocolate Truffle and was a relatively dark, warm brown when we picked it out from the retailer. I just recently (post grout installation) read that whatever the color the dry form of the grout is before adding water, the finished color will be. Sooooo, just a bit ago, I asked my huband if the dry mix was lighter than the sample and he said, "yep." Buuuut, since it was good and dark when wet, (which is when I say it), we figured that was just the way grout worked (definite amateurs, no?)

Could it be that the ingredients had settled, causing the dry mix to look lighter? He says the bags did have the right color name on them.

Annnnd, it appears the tile, which is porcelain is named Travertino ~ am assuming this is just the "name", as per its appearance looking like natural travertine....

Sorry for the brain-twisting!

Collissa Weber
04-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Correction: "Buuuut, since it was good and dark when wet, (which is when I say it)..." is SUPPOSED to be "when I SAW it." ~

collissa
04-27-2004, 10:58 PM
The grout color was completely uniform when mixed...Used a mixing tool on an electric drill to mix it, and my husband is extremely thorough when it comes to any job he does ~ real perfectionist, to be sure.

Mike2
04-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Not a problem Collissa. Sometimes what take us 30 minutes or so of typing could be done in 1 minute face to face. Just the reality of the internet, but isn't it wonderful though.

If the color is "right" when wet, and if the color across all the grout joints is uniform when wet, then applying an Enhancer like Stone Beauty available through our on-line store will give you that same wet look and will seal the grout at the same time.

I want another pro to look at this and either concur with my recommendation or give you another solution path to follow.

To that end, I am going to move this entire thread over to our Tile and Stone Cleaning/Restoration Board. I'll leave a copy here so that you can get to it from either place. Most likely sometime tomorrow morning, another pro with expertise in this area will get back to you.

P.S. If when you wet the entire grout field down the color is not uniform, that still could mean there is grout scum on there which takes you right back to the vinegar and water to remove it.

collissa
04-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Again, thanks so much for your input ~ I'm of like mind as per the Enhancer because its description fits what I would like to see ~ my grout WET!

Will be checking on all the dried grout as per uniformity of color when wet, and go from there (after checking for any problems that should be rectified with the vinegar solution first.)

Thanks for taking the time to consult someone else's input by moving this to the other thread...You guys are the real thing!:nod:

--------------
"The measure of life, after all, is not it's duration,
but it's donation." ~ Corrie Ten Boom ~

doitright
04-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi Collissa :)

Try the vinegar/water 1st. Let it dry. It will still be lighter than when mixing fresh grout. On a porcelain tile, unless your using something like Mapei Ultra Color, the pigments tend to wash out during the cleaning process.

After the grout is dry, wipe the joints with water and a sponge (don't flood). If it darkens to how you want it, it's a good candidate for Stone Beauty. If not, you may want to consider grout stain. ;)

Jeff2
04-28-2004, 06:51 AM
Colissa,

I am having the same problem with my Laticrete grout. I purchased the color "Hemp" which is basically a medium brown, but it dried very light. When the grout is wet it is the exact color I am looking for. I also tried scrubbing the grout with vinegar, but it did very little. I got an enhancer sample from a local tile shop (Tec solvent based enhancer). It darkened the grout a bit, but no where near the wet look I was looking for. I'm not sure if the TYW enhancer works differently from the the Tec brand enhancer, but I just wanted to warn you that you still may not get the result you are looking for using the enhancer. I actually ordered the stain from this site. Hopefully it will come soon and I can let you know what happens with that.

Jeff

collissa
04-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks to all for the thoughtful input.

Interesting that Lacrete grout may have something to do with this whole situation as per a manufacturing problem. I say interesting because I've been neck-deep in researching manufacturing processes and far more as per the pharmaceutical "business" ~ one that has vastly more far reaching influence/repercussions in the area of "things gone awry" than faulty grout color to be sure!

I was waylayed by a prescription drug some 5+ years ago and after practically staring into my own open grave too many times to count for years post-ingestion have had my eyes opened to more than I ever WANTED to see, to be sure.

Being the "mom" that I am, can't keep me mouth shut as per enjoining everyone to, "READ, READ, and READ again!" all the adverse reactions and warnings from the product insert (request it from your pharmacist or go to www.rxlist.com) for any script you or your loved ones are given. Trust me, a recent GAO (Government Accounting Office) report to Congress confirmed that only 1%-10% of the adverse effects of all drugs is ever reported and that long-term disability is impossible to ascertain. Many, many people are sick because of what they've been given to purportedly make them well!

Top that with the fact that the pharm industry is the one of the most profitable in the world, spends millions in advertising, and only publishes postive studies on their drugs which have many times been proven to be skewed with inaccuracies and you have a prescription for disaster for millions. Marcia Ingel, editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, resigned because of the corruption and lies.

Be careful, y'all....And thanks, again!

Lise
08-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Whoops! Just found out the tile says Noce Travertino...So, where from here?...

Also, my husband said the color of the grout in the bag - pre water addition - was definitely lighter than the sample the dealer showed us when we picked the color...does this mean it will get no darker with any other alternative than a stain?

When it is wet, it's the right color...

I seem to have the same problem with my grout color. When it's wet, it's the right color. Will it darken after I seal it? How did you solve your problem.

doitright
08-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi Lise, Welcome! :)

She never did say, did she?

Why don't you start your own thread, and let's see if we can help you! ;)