Limestone [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Limestone

John K
04-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Here is the scenario.

Master bath tear out existing tile and backerboard and replace with 18x18 limestone on diagonal with clipped corners and dots.

Two doors are butting carpet and the third is hardwood. Joist are 2x10 , 16 o.c spanning 12'.

So far the current advice is add 3/8 ply and Ditra. My initial thoughts were 3/4 of mud with latex additive mixed in. I want the floor flat and uncoupled. Meaning no direct bond SLC..

Sponsored Links

Davestone
04-18-2004, 07:17 AM
I like the mud i don,t trust half the new systems

Dave Gobis
04-18-2004, 07:25 AM
You call 30 years new? Not enough support in the floor for mud or SLC for stone, especially with limestone. I do think you are at the limits of what would be acceptable on a long term performance basis with your proposal. Short term, no problem.

John K
04-18-2004, 07:33 AM
You had to burst my bubble Dave. I guess the 3/8 ply with Ditra is the only hope and then fight keeping the lippage down.

If SLC was more user friendly. I could add the 3/8 ply and prime the wood, then pour a leveling layer of SLC and then add Ditra.;)

John Bridge
04-18-2004, 11:04 AM
John,

Don't know about you, but even when I float the floor I end up doing quite a bit of back-buttering on stone tiles. Suckers are never all the same thickness. :)

John K
04-18-2004, 04:52 PM
I agree with you John.

The only problem I am concerned with was a high and low joist scenario and getting the floor as flat as possible first.;)

Steven Hauser
04-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi John K.

Don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't be putting 18" limestone on that floor without doing some work to the joists first.

Either cut the span in half or sister the joists.

My .02