Grout haze BAD!! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout haze BAD!!

Aggie
04-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey gang...sorry for the late hour!!

I finally got around to grouting my porcelain tile in my tub surround today....but the haze is terrible! I kept up with clean up and its still a mess.

I used Rialto series tiles from Lowes and C-Cure grout, (which dried about 2 shades lighter than I wanted). The haze is still pretty bad..and in the pores...it looks awful inless its wet....when it dries, it goes back to almost white....not cool since the color is Canvas! I've tried vinegar and water and a stiff nylon brush, but not much luck....and my hands don't have anymore to give today.

Any suggestions????

Thanks,
Aggie!!

Sponsored Links

doitright
04-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Aggie,

Moved you to the cleaning department.

This is not an uncommon problem. The grout is probably lighter, due to excessive wash water being used to try to clean the tiles. We may be able to clean the tiles and darken the joints slightly, with the same procedure.

Have you tried straight vinegar yet? You might want to try an area close to the bottom to start. Be careful to avoid letting the vinegar run down the walls. Rinse well. A solution of ammonia (1 part) and water (10 parts), may help also. Rinse well. If that doesn't work, get back to us. (Get back to us either way) Anytime day or night, don't apologize, we're always open! ;)

Aggie
04-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the tip! I'll try some straight vinegar on a couple of the joints and see what happens!!

When I get to a color that I can live with, and I want to make it look wet (cause it looks darker that way), should I use an enhancer sealer to get this affect??

Thanks again....you guys are great! This is a fantastic site!!

doitright
04-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Aggie,

Yes, enhancer will do the trick. If you want to help support this site, TYW Stone Beauty is an excellent product. ;)

Aggie
04-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Great....Thanks John!

I'll check it out!!!

The straight vinegar seems to be working ok! There are still a few spots that the color is lighter, so I guess I should try to clean them again?? If it doesn't turn out perfect...I would assume the enhancer would blend it all together since it would look wet?

I was also wondering....what would a penetrating sealer (not enhancer) do for it? How much will it change the color??

Thanks again...you guys are great!

doitright
04-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi Aggie,

Most penetrating sealers leave the color close to natural. Which products are you looking at? Some do a much better job than others. :)

Aggie
04-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey John,

The only one I've ever used is Sealers Choice ...and mostly on white grout/ceramic. Have used it on italian marble once with a grey grout....and only changed it about a shade....nothing drastic.

I've looked at your products, but not really sure which one would be the best for my job?? Its class 5 porcelain (rialto series from Lowes if you're familiar with it). I'm going for look that will darken the grout slightly more than what it did by cleaning it with the vinegar....and hopefully it will blend some of the light/dark spots in it. What are your thoughts??

doitright
04-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Hi Aggie,

Sealers Choice is a good product. You mentioned my products. :confused: I personally don't have any, but this site does. As I mentioned earlier, the TYW Stone Beauty is a enhancer that will darken the grout joints.

The other alternative would to be to use a grout stain. It doesn't sound like this is necessary if you are happy with the color. What happens with the light and dark spots when the area is wet? :)

Aggie
04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey John...

I went over the dark spots again with a damp sponge, and they are turning out the same color as the rest. Its lightening them up. When they are wet, all is the same color! (eventually after the moister soaks in) hehehe...I guess thats a good thing???? Its all turning out to look decent. Just not the color I was actually hoping for on the grout, and not sure I want to go to the trouble of staining it.

If I do decide to stain it, it looks like TYW will be able to match the grout color of the C-Cure?? Do you know how close it is going to be to the color of the C-Cure sample stick from the tile store?? Like I mentioned before, the grout dried about 2-3 shades lighter than the sample.

doitright
04-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Aggie :)

Tim is alledgedly very good at mixing any color you need. :nod: Just mention the brand and color you want made in the order (if you prodceed in this direction).

I haven't used his stains yet, but as word has it, everyone has been extremely happy.

Is the darkened (wet) look too dark?

John Bridge
04-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi Aggie, :)

Cough up a first name, or I'll start telling Aggie jokes. :D

Aggie
04-05-2004, 09:29 PM
LOL....Hey John....and John!!

Tell ALL the Aggie jokes you want....I'm behind ya all the way. I've got a few myself!! I'm actually an Oklahoma State fan...from the old days of Oklahoma A&M.

I can't thank both of you enough!!!

First, John B for such an outstanding forum, website, and what I will soon be a walking billboard for.., quality products. I can only imagine the quality of work you yourself do if you're able to get all the DIY'ers through some of the stuff we get into! FANTASTIC...can't say enough! :cool:

John K!! Everything you've suggested has been right on the money. You've saved my mind....Umm..what little I had left...(but not so much the fingers and hands with all the scrubing....LOL) but most of all my wallet cause if this hadn't worked, I would have gone the next step and pulled the grout out and started over. Again...what can I say...you're the top of the class! :D

JK....in answer to your last reply....yes....the wet look is going to be too dark and will be a strong contrast to the tile color. So I think the Stone Armour will be a little much. (from what I hear, it really darkens..but I've never seen it work, but soon will on another project) So, while its curing, we'll ponder using a stain if we want the exact look of the grout sample...but my hunch is its going to get sealed like it is.....and should look fine! I'll send some pics after the bathroom is done.

I will spread the word about the TYW products and plan on purchasing a couple as the remodel is FAR from over!! :bang:

I raise my glass to the TYW team!!

Brett

doitright
04-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Thanks Brett :)

BTW Stone Armor (sealer) won't change the color, Stone Beauty (enhancer) will.

John B.,

You called it! ;)