Pulling up vinyl linoleumn? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Pulling up vinyl linoleumn?

Kathy
06-18-2001, 08:01 AM
Our exsiting linoleumn is 6 years old. Our house was built in 1995 on a concrete foundation. It looks as if there could be a crack in the concrete, becauce there is a long thin bump in the linoleumn. If this is true, is there more work that needs to be done to prep the floor before tile?

Thank you everyone!!
Your advice has helped alot!!!!!:)

Sponsored Links

kalford
06-18-2001, 08:54 AM
Kathy,
The lump could be an adhesive problem.However,if you find a crack in the slab you'll need to install an "uncoupling" underlayment such as Schluter-Ditra.It comes in rolls and is very easy to work with.
It is set on a bed of thinset then the tile is installed directly on top of it.This isolates your tile from movement in the slab due to expansion/contraction.Some of the other guys have a little more technical knowledge about it so stay tuned.

Bud Cline
06-18-2001, 10:02 AM
If that "bump" is in fact stresses on the slab and there has been an "upheaval", this means one side of the crack is raised above the other, then I would be very careful about getting in a hurry to install ceramic tile.

I know of nothing that will defend against up and down movement in concrete substrates. Your house probably hasn't had sufficient time to settle and may continue to move for many more years. A local pro should look at this one I think.

John has plenty of "slab" experience, what do you think John?

chip
06-18-2001, 02:43 PM
You can contact a friend of mine named Lonnie DeGooyer at ldegooy@schluter.com

He is the rep for schluter and Mapei, in Las Vegas. He comes from a family of tile contractors and has a very good working knowlege of installations in your area.

Tell him I said hi!

Good luck,

Art Phenis

John Bridge
06-18-2001, 03:50 PM
Okay, before we get carried away, let's get the linoleum up out of there and have a look. It's got to come up one way or the other.

Kathy,

Although cracked slabs aren't unusual in your area, "vertical" cracking is. Usually, when you dump concrete on that desert it tends to stay put. You may get by with simply using a little membrane over the crack -- if there IS a crack.

John
"If it ain't cracked, don't fix it."