Irregular thinset lines [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Irregular thinset lines

gregorre
03-22-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm laying 13"x13" ceramic tile using Laticrete 253 Gold Multipurpose Thinset Mortar on top of 1/4" Hardibacker using a 1/4" square-notched trowel. I'm having problems getting the trowel lines to look uniform. Sometimes they're all chopped up and don't seem to be adhering to the board. I'm mixing it to the proper consistency (I believe). I sponged down the Hardibacker with a damp sponge as suggested by the manufacture to remove any dust. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
03-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Bob, try burning in the thinset before combing.This means to take the flat end of the trowel and pressing moderatly hard, skim the hardi to burn in the mix.Then comb your thinset.
Your mix should be able to hold the combed peak (just barely) without slumping.thicker is more difficult to work,thinner is less likely to give you proper coverage.
Remeber,Mix your thinset,let it sit 8-10 minutes and then remix adding a small amount of water if necessary to get the right consistancy.this is called Slaking.Good Luck to you.

Also,dampen the hardibacker slightly before troweling to avoid having it suck the moisture from the thinset :)