Toilet Height [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile


View Full Version : Toilet Height

03-18-2004, 12:14 PM
This may be more of a plumbing question but I'll give it a try.

I'm going to be tiling a bathroom. When I put down the tile I'm thinking that the toilet will be too low down. Not to mention having to cut out an area for the toilet to sit.

How do you go about raising the flange so that the toilet will be resting on TOP of the tile rather than nestled down in a cutout.

Thanks in advance.


Sponsored Links

03-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the Forum Marc.

I've seen a few plumbers check in here....but these tile pros whether they like it or not are used to dealing with pipes, especially the kind of which you speak. ;)

Someone will be here to help you out but while you are waiting, tell us this: [will speed things up for you]
Are you dealing with cast iron or plastic?
Do you have access below the subfloor in the area of this flange?

03-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Not quite sure of your question, but if you mean..There was a toilet there, and you put a floor in, the differerence in height?

HD sells a wax donut that has an rubber extrension on it.....worked for me.

03-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi Marc, welcome to the forum.
Buy 2 wax rings: one with the standard flange & one wax only without the flange. Stack the wax only ring on top & mold them into one tall ring with your fingers. Sometimes I'll slice the extra ring into only half height if that's all I need, too much wax can be pushed inside, partially blocking the drainage. It helps if the the rings have both been warm for a while before you put them together.

03-18-2004, 12:42 PM
I kinda' thought the tile pros here would be able to help me out.

I'm doing 2 bathrooms. One is on the ground floor (cement slab) and the other is a 2nd floor (plywood sub floor). So I don't have access to the groound floor but could possibly have access to the second floor flange if I cut away the plywood.

Both cases the plumbing is (I think) PVC. I say 'I think' because I have not looked at it yet, but other plumbing (shower) in the house is PVC.

I have read some about flange extenders but I'm not sure if that is the way to go.



03-18-2004, 01:28 PM
I use the "Jumbo" wax ring that is made by KantLeak. Never had a problem.

You may need to get some longer bolts though for the toilet


03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
The flange extenders are permanently mounted to your present closet flange. This raises the flange surgace so you need only one wax ring.

03-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Here is a link to Fluidmaster. I've read that this is a good product eliminating the need for double wax rings.

03-18-2004, 08:57 PM
If you can get to the bottom of the toliet upstairs you can cut the PVC pipe and raise the flange. The way we do this is if you can determine the height of the tile then you can> either cut a donut out of plywood and screw down under the flange.(get a toliet flange with a cast aluminum, stainless steel,or metal flange).Set the flange over the plwood,mark the outside(usually 7-1/2" diameter,inside is usually 5-1/2") width of donut will be 1"Inside>5-1/2" outside7-1/2" .Screw down over the old toliet hole, place toliet flange exactly on center and screw down with 2 screws. Replace the pipe underneath with a coupling and a elbow,usually 3" pipe for upstairs bath.Y ou might have to take the screws back out to glue the flange on,you leave it in place for measuring purposes. Most of the time 3/4" plywood will do, I like real plywood not chipboard,particle board or wafer board. The other way to do it would be install the tile upstairs, carefully cutting the tile around the hole for the toliet(usually 5-1/2" hole). Then set the flange over the hole,exactly in the center. Take hammerdrill and diamond bit and drill through tile into plywood and secure with screws. Then replace the piping underneath,usually with a coupling and an elbow.
Downstairs where the piping is concrete will be a little touchy.The following is how to fix it right but you are taking a chance here. I don't know what your skill level is and this might be somewhat difficult. What kind of flange is on it? What size is the pipe in the concrete?(usually 4")If its plastic you could take a sawall and lay the blade on the floor and cut the flange off. Carefully saw the sides of the flange that are left, in several places(do not cut into the pipe,shove a rag down in the pipe to catch plastic chunks,the idea is the make enough cuts to take a hammer and a screwdriver or small chisel and chip out the rements of the toliet flange without busting the pipe,take your time and do a little at the time.Sand the inside of the pipe a little to smooth it out. Then you can get a toliet flange that has an o-ring type rubber seal with an extension(looks like a metal(cast) toliet flange with a long extension with a rubber o-ring on it) that will slide down into the pipe and on top of the tile in the basement,drill through tile and secure with concrete screws(these concrete screws are like wood screws for cement,they are blue usually> tapcon brand). All this depends on whether you can get the old flange out of the pipe.
The easiest thing in the basement would be to just use several wax seals or an extension flange if the existing flange is in good shape. I don't care much for the fluidmaster product above. Hope this helps ,David