Tile over tile then over adjacent vinyl... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over tile then over adjacent vinyl...

TileTot
01-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Multi part question here guys on proposed 12 x 12 ceramic tile job. Scenario is glazed 8 x 8 tile (foyer) set in mud butting against (same height) a vinyl sheet floor perimeter glued on 5/16 UL on 5/8 subfloor (hallway)... first, can I incorporate the entire floor under Ditra. if so, will I have to use Ardex FF to level out the grout lines in the tile prior to installing the Ditra. Secondly, will the perimeter glued vinyl be stable enough or should it be removed down to the UL. if I need to do the vinyl removal, can I even out the difference in floor height with Ardex... any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be very appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links

cx
01-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Welcome, RG. :)

We'd need more information on the floor structure to determine the suitability for a ceramic tile installation. Use the Deflectometer in the dark blue bar near the top of the page to get started on that process.

What is this "5/16 UL" of which you speak?

You'll want to visit the Schluter Ditra website (http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx) and download the Ditra Installation Handbook. They do have a procedure for installing over sheet vinyl flooring if it's not cushioned and if it's over an appropriate subflooring. You won't much like the procedure. That's intentional on their part. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

TileTot
01-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks... the calculator says I'm good... the UL is actually 1/4 plywood... yeah I see the perimeter glued is something they do not want... so now I'm back to the height difference thing which is the problem I was trying to solve...

cx
01-29-2014, 11:03 AM
You'll need to remove the 1/4" plywood, which is almost certainly Lauan, also.

After that we'd need to see some photos, I think, to get a handle on your situation.

The existing tile floor is on the same structure as the proposed tile floor?

TileTot
01-29-2014, 11:21 AM
See now that's the other thing... the UL can't come up... it's sitting on cut back adhesive which I do not want to disturb for obvious reasons... if I can install tile directly over tile in the foyer I might have a shot at getting the height matched up with an engineered wood in the hallway... or is it possible to put UL on the foyer tile and add another sheet to the hallway to keep the height matched up?

Lazarus
01-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Nothing "obvious" about the cutback. Use a 4" scraper to get it up. Might try wetting it with hot water to soften it up a bit.

TileTot
01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Nothing obvious except asbestos...

Lazarus
01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
This type of asbestos is not "friable" unless you grind it up and release particulates into the air....nor is it the type of "loose" asbestos that is commonly found around pipe insulation.

Simply scraping it up in chunks is commonly done and poses no airborne risk.