Glass Floor Tile Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Glass Floor Tile Question

barbidia
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Hi! New here (well, previously posted years ago but lost login info) and I received the most excellent advice so am trying again on another project.

For use on a shower floor? Having read throughout this forum I am so confused if yes or no. Tile info below.

Artistry In Mosaics Glass Tiles
glossy, dippled, iridescent finish. Tile size: 25x50mm - 1x2". Thickness: 8mm - 1/4. Grout joint: Approx. 1/16. Sq. ft. per sheet: 1. Sheet Size: 12" x 12". Tile per sheet: 98. Mounting: Clear film-faced. Impervious to liquids and vapors. Resistant to fading, staining and discoloration. Simple to install with standard tools. Non-flammable. Suitable for interior and exterior applications, in wet or dry locations, including kitchen backsplashes, shower walls, swimming pools and residential floors (not slip resistant).

Additionally, can MOP be used on a bathroom counter top with an undermount, rectangular or square sink? Tile info below.

River Shell White Shell Mosaic Sheet 25mm - 3/4"
Natural shell mosaic sheets. Mesh-backed. Sheet size of 11.8" x 11.8". Suitable for: interior walls, exterior walls (under canopy or porch cover), interior floors (light traffic, no slip resistance), countertops, tabletops, backsplashes, shower walls, tub surrounds and ceilings.

As always, I appreciate any advice given.

Gracias.

Sponsored Links

MAPEI - Technical Service
01-25-2014, 06:29 PM
The manufacturer is saying no due to the tiles not being slip resistant. There is nothing about being on a shower floor that will hurt the tiles themselves but you would be using them at your own risk. Personally I would not put them in my own shower.

Houston Remodeler
01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
The other problem is the nature of the MOP itself. MOP is made from nacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacre), which is calcium carbonate. Most common household cleaners contain acid and will etch, eat, and if severe enough, will destroy the MOP.

Might wanna leave the MOP for the backsplash .

Higher Standard Tile
01-25-2014, 08:55 PM
And if you put glass mosaic in a wet area like a shower floor paper faced mounting is better.

The mesh on the backs of the tile is usually mounted with a water based adhesive that isn't the best for shower floors.

barbidia
01-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Many Thanks!