Tiling a long L shaped kitchen backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling a long L shaped kitchen backsplash

Bpcarder
01-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Hey folks - looking for some advice. I'm tiling an L shaped kitchen backsplash with 3x6 tiles. I've seen where some say to pick the center sink and start there and some say to work from the outsides to the corner. The big issue I have with the former is that I don't want to end at the edges with small pieces because I am rounding the edges of my tile (travertine) to make my own bullnose. The latter approach worries me to because I have two long walls and I worry that working from the outside in will end in horizontal grout lines that don't meet up (I.e. Both opposing countertops aren't level with each other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links

Davy
01-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi Bob, welcome. Depending on the kitchen layout, sometimes I begin the layout centering over the stove top, sometimes over the sink. A couple pics of your splash would probably help.

Are you saying that the countertop steps down in one area?

Bpcarder
01-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks for your reply. The countertop should be level. I don't think centering over the stove or sink will help though. There only a small 7 inch gap from the countertop to the window the stove will have a framed mosaic. I'm thinking I should start from the outside edges of the L and work to the corner and pray the horizontal grout lines match up ( ie countertop is level).

Richard Tunison
01-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Draw a level line over the two runs of splash and stick to your lines,,,,,,,corner should line up perfectly. If the counter tops are way off you will want to start at the lowest point and cut in the tiles.

Davy
01-19-2014, 09:41 AM
If the tops are level, or close to it, I would start full tiles at the bottom and put the cuts at the top. Having a framed in area over the cook top doesn't change the layout of the field tiles. We would still layout the field tiles (the sideways layout) with the framed area. The framed area could be centered between the C-top and upper cabinet or it can slide up or down, whatever looks best. I like having the same size field tiles meeting the framed area from the sides.

K_Tile
01-19-2014, 09:41 AM
If you are concerned about bullnosing small pieces you can always turn the last tile even with your c-top vertical. So instead of having the bullnose on the 3" inch it would be a full 3x6 vertical tile with the bullnose on the 6" side.

Davy
01-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Here's a better pic of the field tiles centered with the framed in area.