Shoul we pull up vinyl linoleumn flooring? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shoul we pull up vinyl linoleumn flooring?

Kathy
06-17-2001, 08:43 AM
Should we pull up the vinyl linoleumn flooring in our kitchen, before we have ceramic tile installed. Two contractors say no, one says yes! The one that says yes has quoted a little higher price on the work than the other two. The other two say leave it, the linoleumn makes a good protective barrier for the tile.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
06-17-2001, 08:50 AM
Hi Kathy, Welcome.

I always pull it up. Vinyl linoleum is a very poor base for ceramic tile. Go with the guy who wants a little more money. We charge .75 per square foot to remove the stuff.

What type of floor? Wood or concrete?

Rob Z
06-17-2001, 09:06 AM
Hi Kathy

Some of the manufacturers of tile setting materials make products that can be used over non cusioned vinyl. Utilicrete cement backer board can be installed over non cushioned vinyl.

With that being said, my preference, like John, is to always pull the stuff up. Tile should be a permanent installation and I think it's worth the additional prep work to get a superior surface to set the tile on.

How old is the vinyl? Vinyl installed before the mid 80's may have asbestos in it.

If you elect to pull up the vinyl, and you have a wood subfloor, be sure that the luan underlayment comes out as well.

Good luck, and let us know how your project goes.

Rob

kalford
06-17-2001, 09:13 AM
Kathy,
I think you'll find that the pros here will all agree that it is best to remove the linoleum.I can only echo what John and Rob have already said.

Rob Z
06-17-2001, 09:17 AM
Kathy

One other thing...if you do decide to have the tile set over the vinyl, make sure that the floor has been thoroughly cleaned with a stripper designed to clean off wax and other bond-breaking residues.

Rob

chip
06-17-2001, 12:17 PM
You have gotten the best advice available already.

If ceramic tile needed a protective barrier, the tile manufacturers would have provided it.

If the cost is a deterent, remove it yourself.

If you need help with that, these guys are the pro's, I'm just a salesman.

You found the right spot for all your questions.

Bud Cline
06-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Backin' up a little here guys! Is this vinyl on wood or concrete? Did I miss something here somewhere?