Question about movement joint - commercial traffic [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Question about movement joint - commercial traffic

QualityTileGuy
01-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I have a question about allowing for movement in a commercial application...bathrooms set up like you would find at HD or Lowes...long and narrow, no doors to the main bathrooms.

I understand you typically want a joint every 25 ft or so...as well as space along the perimeter. I am looking at 31 feet for the longest run. Just curious about best location for the joint OR the possibility that I could get by without it.

12x12 tile, 1/4 inch grout lines, relatively constant temp and no direct sunlight.

If I did want to put one in, would like to get ideas for best location and method.

Black circles in pic are toilet drain pipes.

Sponsored Links

cx
01-10-2014, 01:21 PM
I would extend the perimeter joint along the west side of the east center wall all the way south to the south wall. As a minimum.

It must be a minimum of 1/4" wide.

My opinion; worth price charged.

MDtile
01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
I would go from the entrance partition of each of the long bathrooms across the floor to the south wall, or over any expansion cuts in the slab if there are any.

QualityTileGuy
01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
No expansion joints in the concrete. Will also be laying a couple coats of RedGard...not sure if that helps with this issue or not...

What about product/method you guys like?