Can You Use Mortar For Grout Lines Instead of Grout? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can You Use Mortar For Grout Lines Instead of Grout?

tincanman99
12-21-2001, 11:08 AM
I just finished my kitchen floor and it came out great! Thanks for all your advice.

Anyway I have a 50lb bag of Flexbond white mortar left over (opened 1/3 used). I need to regrout my bathroom floors and shower walls on the 2nd floor.

My question is can I use the mortar in the grout lines instead of grout? They are both white and the mortar gets rock hard but is flexible because its Flexbond.

Is this a bad idea or should I just go buy a bag of grout (its not going to kill me $ mind you). Just figure why why waste the mortar.

Thanks.

John

Sponsored Links

David Miller
12-21-2001, 03:35 PM
John: I'd offer you my advice, but I'm the idiot who paid $103 for a quart of grout sealer, so I don't think I'd listen to me, if I was you.

But I figure grout is grout and thinset is thinset. Otherwise they'd just sell one or the other. Somebody with some real experience is probably going to be able to answer your question shortly.

John Bridge
12-21-2001, 04:19 PM
Right-o David.

No, use grout. The thin set would make an awful mess. For the wall tiles use unsanded "dry wall" grout. If the floor joints are wider, use sanded grout there.