NEW!! Install ditra with MASTIC!! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

View Full Version : NEW!! Install ditra with MASTIC!!

04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
NEW!! Install ditra with MASTIC!!

Really- Ardex AF 207

(cue Blazing Saddles, Lilly VonSchtupp says, "It's TWUE!! It's TWUE!!" :dance:

Sponsored Links

04-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I think I posted something a while back ......... must be burried somewhere ..... deep .

And it could be something similar to wood adhesive -- carpenter's glue ? -- , but couldn't get any infos yet . Marketing though is high priority

FWIW -- click me -- (

04-05-2013, 03:49 AM
Notice that they do not talk about intalls over concrete. I wager a guess that the waterbased adhesive would break down in a wet/damp enviroment. Also note that the infloor heat system can not go above 85f.
I can see applications for the product if the price is in line. Nothing worse than getting on wet ditra to set the same day.....unless you're customer likes lippage.

Executive Flooring
04-05-2013, 04:56 AM
I think I'll stick with mortar. Like Brad said, moisture and adhesive don't play well together. Plus I doubt there will really be much of a cost savings.

04-05-2013, 06:07 AM
It almost makes sense.
I mean drywall in showers with kerdi
Non modified thinset with porcelain
And now mastic for floors with ditra
whats next?

Matt C
04-05-2013, 06:36 AM
I have used it a couple of times in bathrooms that I needed to set tile on in the same day. It does hold very well - even before fully cured. I was able to pull up a 20x20 without pulling the Ditra off of the floor with it.

We always use speed set under our Ditra, but even that won't set up fast enough to allow instant tile setting without worrying about breaking the bond if you need to adjust the mortar under your tile. It looked more like a super premium carpet adhesive. Very easy to trowel. It does not look like regular mastic.

I will use it again in areas that I need to immediately install, but if I am not going to set tile until the next day, I will just use mortar. The cost vs. speed set is a wash for us.

04-05-2013, 03:56 PM
I got the Ardex Spam comments today on my facebook pages.
asking me to 'look at this link" or "do you use Ardex".
no I dont, so I deleted them.

04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
I posted this awhile back, dont see advantage. I also install ditra and tile all the time the same day. I do not have lippage issues.

World LLC
04-05-2013, 07:08 PM
would this be similar to noble's glue for nobleseal ts?

Hank B.
04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Could be a way to get around the-ditra is fine over osb but thin set manufacturers don't want their product used over osb aspect of ditra.

04-06-2013, 04:40 AM
DeRrIcK,(attempting to show lippage):D

My point is when a person is setting tile, let's just say a bathroom, and is working his/her way out that your knees/feet push the freshly installed ditra in small humps.

Then there is the problem with the thinset.
Example: if someone were to set a tile, one hour later would you walk on it? Answer is no. Once the tile is set we have maybe 15-20+\-minutes for adjusting the tile, or what happens......we break the initial thinset bond (there is a technical term for this). Also Getting back on tile work the next day after only let's say 14 hrs is tooooooo soon. This is one of biggest reasons tile installs fail and grout joints crack.

Above is why we do not set tile the same day when tiling over ditra. We do not want to break that bond with the subfloor/thinset/fleece. Exception being if we use fast set. Plus the use of these rectified large format tiles make setting over wet ditra a pig.

I can see the point of using Ardex AF 207.

We are married to schluter while having an affair with GreenSkin.

04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
I go over fresh Ditra all the time. Can't say I have ever noticed broken bond. I do prefer to wait if I am setting large format or stone though as suction will lift the ditra if you have to lift the tile.

As far as lumps(no pun intented) are concerned having the proper Schluter ditra trowel practically eliminates knee marks

04-06-2013, 09:35 AM
As far as Mastic to install Ditra to above grade wood. I can't see any reason why this would not work just fine. Thinset would be better IMO b ut without water problems perhaps overkill.

However just as I cannot see any reason why not. I also cannot see any reason as to why?

Downgrading compression strength and moisture resistance and messing with mysterious "uncoupling" properties by using a product that I am sure cost more then your standard modified thinset just leaves it the only advantage of not mixing thinset.

I can see this product selling well in a box store though.

04-07-2013, 02:43 AM
There are some amazing adhesives out there these days, and this is probably one of them.

Cost versus mortar would seem to be the big factor.

We are married to schluter while having an affair with GreenSkin.

So who do you have better sex with?

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
04-07-2013, 12:43 PM
NEW!! Install ditra with MASTIC!!

How is this new? Have you guys been doing it some other way? :devil: :lol2:

04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Hmmmmm, Never heard of such a thing. I always use Proquick/Plus. I have heard of an installer on a job that I was doing the woodwork on, that used Mastic to install Kerdi.