Acid-stained sealed floor? What are my best options to cover it? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Acid-stained sealed floor? What are my best options to cover it?

Kellyroll
02-19-2013, 07:34 PM
We are in the process of trying to sell our house. I acid stained then double-epoxied about 7 years ago, we've pretty much worn down the gloss with wear and tear. The lookers are not digging it. Any advice on an economical way to cover our floors with something else? I was told that if I tiled it, we would have to scrape down to the original cement. I also saw some peel and stick vinyl flooring that looked easy to instal, but some have raised concerns that the adhesive might not last. Does anyone have any experience dealing with covering stained concrete? :confused: Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links

stevencholland
02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi, there is a couple of ways you can go. Tile would work and you do not need to strip the epoxy if you go with a high end thinset. You could also install a product called dura-ceramic, it is a vinyl bonded to a 3mm limestone backing. Congoleum makes it and it was designed to go over existing floors as long as the floors are solid and not loose or flaking. The dura-ceramic is much easier to install than tile. I have done over twenty floors with it over the last five years, no call backs and every client likes it.
Cannot reccomend the peel and stick.

cx
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome, Kelly. :)

I would not recommend you try to bond a ceramic tile floor to your existing epoxy coating. If you want ceramic tile, you really need to mechanically scarify the entire surface to expose clean concrete.

I know nothing at all about the Congoleum product being recommended, but some alternative floor covering might be the better choice in your application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

reefone
02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Why not re epoxy it? I don't know of much that I would be willing to install over epoxy. Unless you just don't care and want a quick fix. Carpet will cover epoxy real easy. :)