My First Bathroom Remodel. I have some questions. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : My First Bathroom Remodel. I have some questions.

idontknow
02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
This actually my first remodel period. I've helped a couple times with tiling but its been years and I am by no means experienced. Ive spent the last few months reading up (wonderful forum btw) while I gutted my bathroom. Which is gutted down to studs and plywood floor finally.

My first main concern is I want to use 18x18 Travertine tile. I'm unsure as to being able to support the tile. This is a 2nd floor bathroom and the area being tiled is 9' by 5'. Joists run the long length of the bathroom and are 2x8 joists. I cant tell how long the joists are. The subfloor is 3/4 ply currently. The floor is pretty flat and fairly level. It was supporting a cast iron tub I dont know if that actually says anything or not. I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Richard Tunison
02-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi Will and welcome.

I strongly suggest you run your floor specifications through the deflecto tool in the dark blue line at the top of the page. A natural stone install requires the subfloor be TWICE as strong compared to ceramic. Two properly oriented layers of plywood will also be needed.

idontknow
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
So 2 layers of plywood plus cementboard or ditra? And thank you for pointing out the tool based on that it doesnt look like natural stone will work. Is there a way to strengthen the floor to make it work?

Davestone
02-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Usually we recommend adding a wall under the portion to shorten the overall span of unsupported beams.
Or you could sister a nailer board,the same type as the joists,onto the joist boards where the tile goes.

idontknow
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
All I have available locally is Mapei. I am new to tiling. This will be for a 2nd floor bathroom remodel. I am already planning to order hydroban online to waterproof my shower. I have read a lot of good things about the laticrete line of thinsets. Here is my plan.

Floor - 16" porcelain tiles
Shower walls - 6" porcelain tiles
Shower ceiling - 6" porcelain tiles
Sink backsplash - quartz mosaic (not sure how to describe its the real stone mounted on netted mats the stones are 1"tall and 4" wide and the matts are like a 4x8.
Backerboard - hardibacker

Since Im already ordering the hydroban online im not opposed to paying the shippong for some laticrete thinset. I guess my question is what should I use being a new tiler and for my specific needs.

I have already checked my subfloor in the deflecto and I am good to go there.

Thanks

gsr
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Will, lots of people use and prefer Mapei thinsets so I don't think you will have a problem with that.

John Bridge
04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Welcome aboard, Will. :)

Yep, Mapei is good. Use one of their modified thin sets.

idontknow
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Thank you guys!

idontknow
04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
My floor left to right over a 6 foot length is off level by about a half inch. Do I need to use a self leveler for this or can I use extra thinset to level the cement board when I put it down?

Lump
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Cement board first then self level on top.

idontknow
09-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I am getting ready to do my backsplash behind my vanity. I drywalled it because its not really a wet area. I used drywall compound and paper tape for the corners and the seem that runs horizontal in the middle of where the backsplash will be.

I primered the whole wall because I thought I read modified thinset on top of paper and regular drywall mud was no good. Upon further reading it looks lime maybe I went overboard on the priming.

Looking for suggestions on my best course of action. I dont want the tiles falling off after 6 months.

I am using 6x18 porcelain tiles for the back splash and Mopei porcelain thinset mortar.

Houston Remodeler
09-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Will,

We often primer before tiling to make the substrate perfectly white. Its not a bad thing you did.

Get to tiling. :whip:

Richard Tunison
09-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi Will.

Stick them up with the Mapei,,, caulk the top between the tile and wall and you are good to go.

And what Paul said.

idontknow
09-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Thank you guys!

idontknow
10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
For between my hardibacker on my floor and the plywood is this stuff ok to use with just water or do I need to add the polymer.

Edit - cant seem to upload pic but its mapei floor tile mortar / thin set mortar. Its in a white and blue bag. It was the cheap stuff.

cx
10-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Will, you should have no trouble attaching any photo from storage on your computer using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box so long as the photo is 2Mb or less in electronic size.

But we don't need no steenkin' picher. :) Any thinset mortar Mapei makes will work just fine in that application.

Mixed only with water.

My opinion; worth price charged.