Penny Rounds on a bathroom floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Penny Rounds on a bathroom floor

DinahLee
02-06-2013, 03:23 PM
I am in love with penny rounds, but they scare me. I have a great tiler who can install them properly as I would never attempt to do so myself. My question, though is-- how big do you think a room has to be for penny rounds (on the floor) to work well? How big (or small) do you think the room should be, in order for them to work really well and not look "busy." Or does that not matter? We have a pretty open space-- now that the room has been totally gutted-- showers have come out and walls torn down. No penny rounds will go on the walls (where people seem to really like them, but honestly, that's when I think they look busy). There are glass blocks on the wall that back up onto a bedroom window, so they bring in light from those windows in the other room. There's a skylight; the ceilings are about 9.5 feet; and there is one casement window. The walls will have marble wainscoting. The penny rounds are a light color blue/grey porcelain (pulling out a color that's in the marble veining). Am I crazy to mix the two? Everyone I've shown this-- and I do mean everyone, including the tiler, plumber, electrician, and sheet-rocker-- all say it looks great. But I'm still not entirely convinced. The room is about 9x11. I'm just concerned with the overall look of penny rounds. They look great in pictures, but . . .
Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Sponsored Links

Davy
02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure when a room is too big for penny rounds. 9 x 11 isn't too big in my opinion. But my opinion isn't worth much. If you like it, do it.

IowaCommute
02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I agree with Davy. You have to do what you like-its your bathroom.

I thought large profile tile in a herringbone pattern in a bathroom smaller than yours would be too much, but it looked great.